• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Flower Portraits

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thank you, Klaus for the kind remark!

Now from a recent walk around the block!

BD6CB465-365D-4D4B-B578-75D070A46FA0.jpeg

Asher Kelman: “Roses before Ficus”

Asher

Asher Kelman

What’s fascinating, my friends, is that although all the neighbors’ flowers are free to enjoy, no one ever stops to steal them!

Part of that, perhaps, is we take Nature’s beauty somewhat for granted. Just like not noticing how that rough dare-devil “Tomboy” next door has grown up as a fine and worthy woman!

Also, with 2 friends, one evening, passing a homeless woman, (with a child huddled in a doorway), what they had seen. There were blank faces: they hadn’t noticed!

The camera can be our lantern so we learn to see what’s actually around us!

Asher

Interesting colors and composition! I looks like a painting, good job Asher.

5DED46F6-007F-47DD-9DC0-F1606D62F295.jpeg

Asher Kelman: “Bird of Paradise”

Gorgeous. I think you've applied a filter but I still love it. As for treating flowers as people... ah, yes, that's my thing too! :) Maggie
Here with the iPhone XS Max edited on the phone with just Snapseed! I don’t see the nuanced tonalities as well here.

It could be that one needs the finer control of editing in Photoshop CC or other desktop full fledged software.

8B2209DB-4553-4AAB-BAD3-A8821A240ECC.jpeg

Asher Kelman: “Orange Protea”
iPhone XS Max, Snapseed

Such a lovely piece. :) Maggie

Asher Kelman

Thanks Maggie,

This finding of my work really encourages me. These are my times of being in touch with natural beauty and I appreciate the reminder of the simplest treasures we can miss if we walk too fast or obsess about trivialities.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I was surprised as I grew up with a very limited idea of how hydrangeas can vary in appearance.

This is what I thought all hydrangea were:

72A5B909-B43F-49DA-AB7A-1BB94CF7B034.jpeg

Wikipedia

View attachment 5657

Asher Kelman: “Bird of Paradise”

Interesting colors and composition! I looks like a painting, good job Asher.
Gorgeous. I think you've applied a filter but I still love it. As for treating flowers as people... ah, yes, that's my thing too! :) Maggie
Here with the iPhone XS Max edited on the phone with just Snapseed! I don’t see the nuanced tonalities as well here.

It could be that one needs the finer control of editing in Photoshop CC or other desktop full fledged software.

View attachment 5659

Asher Kelman: “Orange Protea”
iPhone XS Max, Snapseed
Such a lovely piece. :) Maggie
I was surprised as I grew up with a very limited idea of how hydrangeas can vary in appearance.

This is what I thought all hydrangea were:

View attachment 11016
Wikipedia
Ah, the secret is in the ph of the soil. More alkaline soils make for pink hydrangeas and acid soil for blue. Neutral soils can even produce purple flowers. The reason is the acidity of the soil allows any aluminum in the soil to reach the hydrangeas roots, making them blue! Where I live there are only white or pink hydrangeas.

Asher Kelman

E50A7848-50C8-4580-AF1D-7027C3A265D2.jpeg

Asher Kelman: “From Eaterly Table Vase”
The Manager let me take these home and gave me a
bag to leave the restaurant without being stopped!

View attachment 11073

Asher Kelman: “From Eaterly Table Vase”
The Manager let me take these home and gave me a
bag to leave the restaurant without being stopped!
Sweet. My neighbor brought me a big clay pot full of those tiny daisies. The bees were having a feast. I'm trying to figure out how many lights you used since you have so many of the flower reflections. 3, I'm guessing, but I could be wrong. I've not taken a lot of images lately, feeling a bit depressed about it all. I also not only do photography, but also illustrations and paintings and so many of the people that I loved their work, have turned to A.I. and it makes me feel like I can not do anything as fabulous. Trying to get back my mojo. I 've just bought a swirly modern type of wine decanter (which I should receive by Wednesday/Thursday) to use as a vase as I found it very interesting. I hope to spark something in me. I think I just need a good 'kick in the pants'. Lovely photo, Asher, Sorry I got so sentimental and focused on myself!

Asher Kelman

Maggie,

The multiple shadows are from the kitchen failing lights and thr Southern skylight from thr windows.

I am trying to add shadows as compositional elements.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Maggie,

Let me add, that with the advent of AI it’s more important for me to work with new models, walk around the park and study bark of trees and the shapes of roots and branches and see the people and birds so I can have my own creative palette of shapes, colors and textures without any help from AI!