• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ranunculus on a Hillside with Native California Plants

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My middle son has devoted himself to creating a natural habitat with native flowers and shrubs to support insects and the birds.

It is flourishing to the extent that there are many insects, birds and two well fed Red Gawks on constant patrol!

0BE95609-7F02-4C64-B1E3-3F7BC0DD397F.jpeg

Asher Kelman: Ranunculus in Native Garden
Asher

Asher Kelman

Thr hillside is very steep, but he has terraced it with redwood blocks of timber and put in drainage and native trees and bushes to hold the soil.

I am proud of his work but I had zero part in it and can claim no credit!

The cut flowers come from a flower truck that delivers fresh blooms to the neighborhood!

Asher

Good for him. It seems like a whole bunch of work, but it is wonderful. I thought the flowers were from his garden, but holy cow, you get fresh flowers from a truck. I want to move! :-D

Asher Kelman

Good for him. It seems like a whole bunch of work, but it is wonderful. I thought the flowers were from his garden, but holy cow, you get fresh flowers from a truck. I want to move! :-D
I flower shop was going broke because of the pandemic. So neighbors came up with this idea of bring flowers to the folk by truck!

Asher

Asher Kelman

These came by flower truck as a gift from my daughter in law as I had admired her arrangements!

BD1947F9-7412-4A6E-B91B-2096906E6AD5.jpeg

0859250C-B586-4F20-A040-83402BF92889.jpeg

Asher Kelman : “Dawn”​

Flowers make such a warm joyous gift and only through such exchange to the growers and small stores survive!

So get friends flowers. No social distancing needed at all!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I thought ranunculus (little frog) were buttercups.
Of course, you make an important point!

So, indeed, you are entirely correct, Peter!

761FE2D3-BE23-4ED7-801C-140F163FC923.jpeg

Ranunculus is a large genus of about 600 species of flowering plants in the family Ranunculaceae. Members of the genus are known as buttercups, spearworts and water crowfoots. Wikipedia

Asher

Asher Kelman

Maggie,

I am so proud that my son studied Native Californian hillside ecology, including bushes, trees, flowers, and insects in order to build back “life” in his massive but rather denuded neglected back garden hillside.

2B75091F-0897-456E-A5C1-683A1E866398.jpeg

I had zero role in this impressive project. He thus not only improves sustainability of pollinators but also returns a wild ecology to this important hillside.

What a good lesson for us all!

Asher

Maggie,

I am so proud that my son studied Native Californian hillside ecology, including bushes, trees, flowers, and insects in order to build back “life” in his massive but rather denuded neglected back garden hillside.

I had zero role in this impressive project. He thus not only improves sustainability of pollinators but also returns a wild ecology to this important hillside.

What a good lesson for us all!

Asher
Those are gorgeous, I am a little jealous! so beautiful!