• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge for Pictures in a Series: Motif or Concept Things that grow on leaves, rocks and trees! Mushroom, Toadstool Moss and Lichen

Jim Olson

I was out in the yard again with the Adventure Kitty (Mitzy) and got a couple more mushrooms

Resized1.jpg

Resized2.jpg

Resized3.jpg

Resized4.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mike,

Great catch!

Are you able to identify them?

The last one appears to be amanita and is beautiful!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks
Sadly my knowledge doesn't come close to identifying them.
The second reminds me of some I've brought in supermarkets, but was somewhat larger. There's no way I'd risk eating it based on the similarity!
Yes, your instinct is correct!

In some villages, folk actually are experts and can reliably identify safe to eat species. But for the rest of us, it makes more sense to either buy from the supermarket, or grow them at home.

Asher Kelman

Thanks
Sadly my knowledge doesn't come close to identifying them.
The second reminds me of some I've brought in supermarkets, but was somewhat larger. There's no way I'd risk eating it based on the similarity!
Mike,

Yes, that’s safe for us. In some villages, they hand down in families the safe identification of mushrooms. But for us it’s the supermarket with so many wonderful varieties.

But for the adventurous, try stores that specialize in cultivating for home growers, like this.

DB61B494-5770-4963-BB58-568AB8C59E02.jpeg

C3EF8094-DE70-4482-B549-F31299238668.jpeg

6760EF9E-3E62-468E-99EE-63A942247335.jpeg

At $30 a set it could be a fun learning experience!

Asher

Jerome Marot

That white mushroom is difficult to identify from the image alone. How the gills are attached to the stalk is an important criteria. For example, it ressembles clitopilus prunulus, but the gills don't go down the stalk, so it is not that. It could also be entoloma lividum, which is poisonous or another half-dozen species. I would need to know where it grew, at which season to narrow it down. Further criteria are the color of the top (not really visible here, I assumed it is white), how the stalk breaks, the presence of milk or color changes when broken, the smell, etc...

Asher Kelman

That white mushroom is difficult to identify from the image alone. How the gills are attached to the stalk is an important criteria. For example, it ressembles clitopilus prunulus, but the gills don't go down the stalk, so it is not that. It could also be entoloma lividum, which is poisonous or another half-dozen species. I would need to know where it grew, at which season to narrow it down. Further criteria are the color of the top (not really visible here, I assumed it is white), how the stalk breaks, the presence of milk or color changes when broken, the smell, etc...
What source do you use, Jérôme? Do you have a book or doc that gives taxonomy descriptors?

Asher

Jerome Marot

I have several books on mushrooms, but they would not be of use to you as they are directed to mushrooms from temperate Europe. You will have different kinds in North America.

For taxonomy, wikipedia is a good start.

Last edited:
Some really cool mushroom images, but most look like poisonous varieties. My dad would go mushroom picking but would only bring one kind home, because he knew it well, and even then they'd be cooked before eaten. Fun photos though