• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

First week with new M8

Nat Burgess

running.jpg

Running in the evening
web.jpg

A spider web on a section of purse seine rope between two trees
julia_nikki_profile.jpg

Looking east toward the Olympic mountains
diaper_hat.jpg

Boy with a diaper on his head

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
running.jpg

Running in the evening

This image evokes in me the kind of esthetics of Rainer Viertblocks pictures shown in the article in OPF
here .

It has the quality of disembodying the non-important physicality and has us ask more existential questions. We discussed extensively and this with some controversy, here .

web.jpg

A spider web on a section of purse seine rope between two trees

This image reminds me of the impressive steel wire knot

75131976.jpg

© 2007 Tom Tobbins

discussed here

Thank you for sharing. You have a special vision which you must continue to hone. I do like your work....and your camera.

Could you, BTW, share the information on the lenses. Also with these special pictures, each is so different that they can be each on their own!

Asher

Last edited:
Hi Scott,

Can you share a few of your first weeks images? That would be fun!

Asher

OK. I've been shooting with the M8 since mid January. heres one from the first week, playing with my old Canon 35/2.0, which was the main lens used on an M2 that survived from the 1970s:

73201571.jpg

and a few days later, using a modern lens, a 50mm Voigtlaender Nokton:

73201580.jpg

and a blurry picture (using the CV 15mm lens that almost makes the wide angle Tri-Elmar unnecessary:

75447452.jpg

(the last one is not from the first week)

scott

Nat Burgess

I especially like the last two

At first glance I thought the graffiti behind the man walking in front of the wal was math equations, like you would see on a blackboard - a picture of what is going on in his head. I also like the shot of the bikes in the yard because it is the opposite of the normal shot of children, where the child is the center and the toys are props. I've been reading about the 15MM CV. Are you limited by the fact that it isn't rangefinder coupled? Or do you set it and forget it?
-Nat

Thanks. The graffit wall has a nice cloud of patterned light. I hadn't thought of it as thought, but it's right next to two schools, so I hope some thought goes into it. In the last picture, the kids were in constant transition between riding their bikes and playing in a "house" defined in the garden adjacent.

The CV15 needs an external viewfinder for accurate framing, so it's a set and forget lens anyway. I use set points of infinity, halfway between infinity and 2m (whatever that is), 2m, 1m and occasionally the .5 and .3m marks. And its wonderfully small and balanced, so a real pleasure to shoot with.

scott

Asher Kelman

OK. I've been shooting with the M8 since mid January. heres one from the first week, playing with my old Canon 35/2.0, which was the main lens used on an M2 that survived from the 1970s:

73201571.jpg

I happen to like this picture and especially it uses the old Canon lens. doing this one can really get great iamges and the appearance will also have its own character.

I wondered what this would look like with a change in the lighting so I took the liberty of seeing what would happen with a quick try.

Scott_Kirkpatrick73201571girlAK.jpg

© 2006 Scott Kirkpatrick

When we have really smart software, this would be done automatically, if one so desired!

Asher

Nat Burgess

Processing for contrast and fill light

© 2006 Scott Kirkpatrick

I like your take on this picture, Asher. Here is a slightly different approach, exposing for the subject. The girl's expression is great and the dolls watching from the window provide a second audience. In film days we would expose for the face and say goodbye to the scene out the window :)

S_Kirkpatrick.jpg

Ah for the good old days...

when I could have dodged her face under the enlarger. I miss all those things your hands could do while printing, but now I use only tools that make whole-frame changes. Is the glow around her shoulders the result of each of you building a photoshop mask, or is it really in the image? I envision this image when you can see Yael's face and hair, but the outside is glowing against a darker wall than your two versions. And the two dolls (actually they are the male and female mascots of the Torino winter olympics in 2006) should really glow from their backlight. I think I could have done all this in Brovira #3 but I haven't taken the time to learn enough Photoshop. There are experimental tools that greatly simplify indicating intentions like this, and use image understanding and machine learning tricks to do more or less what you have in mind, but they are not in mainstream products yet.

Of course a gold reflector, held by an assistant for fill light, would have done the trick nicely, but that wasn't part of the scene I was photographing.

Anyway, I am glad that you liked it.

scott

Asher Kelman

Hi Scott,

It's wonderful and a privilege to be able to get to know someone thousands of miles away. This is real photography and this one picture would have taken my late father-in-law months to print for showing.

One white styrofoam board on one side would open up her face so you would have the whole picture balanced without need for any masking.

Asher

Diana Barrett

fun images...how did you download to your computer? are you shooting RAW or DNG as they say? I"m having trouble downloading DNG to my apple..

Asher Kelman

Hi Diana,

A huge welcome to OPF! We are glad to have you and you ownership of the M8 is perfect. This is a very special camera. I never had issues downloading images. What is your setup: the computer, operating system and disk free space? The Mac does not even have to understand the files in order to recieve them! Are you actually unable to move the files from your camera to the Mac?

How did you try? Do you use a card reader? If so, try another, perhaps it's not working.

I'm sure this can be sorted out!

Asher