• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

on the edge

james sperry

this is an image i did last year i think. i actually had a bondfire going and as i walked around the pit, i saw this weed from a different perspective.
the image that came to mind was when security ends and insecurity begins, and how in your face and clostrophobic the stress is, as that security fades away into the distance.

ontheedge-1.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
this is an image i did last year i think. i actually had a bondfire going and as i walked around the pit, i saw this weed from a different perspective.
the image that came to mind was when security ends and insecurity begins, and how in your face and clostrophobic the stress is, as that security fades away into the distance.

ontheedge-1.jpg

Hi James,

Is there more to that shot? IOW, is this a crop? We have no signals as to the distance between them and the image is small and the plant is cut off. but from what? A vase which could be moved or it's a plant in the ground.

The black frame is too harsh for this little image. It needs freedom.

Try this larger and not cropped with no border.

Thanks for sharing this unusual idea,

Asher

james sperry

Hi James,

Is there more to that shot? IOW, is this a crop? We have no signals as to the distance between them and the image is small and the plant is cut off. but from what? A vase which could be moved or it's a plant in the ground.

The black frame is too harsh for this little image. It needs freedom.

Try this larger and not cropped with no border.

Thanks for sharing this unusual idea,

Asher
here is the original shot. there wasn't a whole lot cropped out of the image. i tried to get the image in the view finder ( i hate editing ... lol).

i cut the plant off intentionally to emphasize the feeling of, "in your face,realization". but, it was just a weed coming out of the ground (montana noxious weed/wild flower). the intent was to give the image a clostrophobic feeling, while stress or other feelings of false sense of security normally don't have the feeling of 'freedom'. and so, the theme. "on the edge". where is the line that seperates a feeling of security and insecurity, for a viewer. it's different for everybody, so i wanted to leave that distance out of the image and leave it to the imagination of the viewer.

i'll try to get a different edit out the image and repost.
IMG_2854-copy-2-1.jpg

Asher Kelman

Brad,

An improvement! Much better without the black border. Now it's much more open.

Do you still have that weed? I'd consider rephotographing it and adding it to the picture so it has a base in the ground. Then we know it's at risk.

Maybe light a piece of paper behind it to create an intermediate risk. Then one would have a stage of progressive danger approaching. Currently I sense no risk to the plant. Now there is a perfect plant and in the distance a perfect fire but no connection.

I'd also add in some separately photographed burning or red hot glowing pieces of paper. Take things to the nth.

Just a different reception of this idea. I think this is more of the beginning of a good project than, as yet, at least, the best externalization of this novel idea.

Asher

Last edited:

james sperry

An improvement! Much better without the black border. Now it's much more open.

could there be a another way to give the feeling of "closed in", but not open?

Do you still have that weed? I'd consider rephotographing it and adding it to the picture so it has a base in the ground. Then we know it's at risk.

Unfortunately, no. this image was made in may of 2007. if i gave the feeling of "knowing" the subject was/is at risk, would that take away the insecurity of not knowing?

Maybe light a piece of paper behind it to create an intermediate risk. Then one would have a stage of progressive danger approaching. Currently I sense no risk to the plant. Now there is a perfect plant and in the distance a perfect fire but no connection.

i wish i had started looking for feedback on my images earlier. maybe i would have a better sense of connection. unfortunatley, i don't think there is anymore i can do with this photo except use it to better myself in the future.

I'd also add in some separately photographed burning or red hot glowing pieces of paper. Take things to the nth.

Just a different reception of this idea. I think this is more of the beginning of a good project than, as yet, at least, the best externalization of this novel idea.

so, my ideas have hope? i just need to study more in my compositions? what would you recomend for literature on this type of problem i have? not that i don't trust your judgment, i just know you have a lot to do and i'm sure teaching me would be quite the task for anybody.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

could there be a another way to give the feeling of "closed in", but not open?

That's a challenge in itself. I'd have to think about it. Limiting access, like blocked alley. But youwant closed in but not necessarily imprisoned

so, my ideas have hope? i just need to study more in my compositions? what would you recomend for literature on this type of problem i have? not that i don't trust your judgment, i just know you have a lot to do and i'm sure teaching me would be quite the task for anybody.

Visiting galleries with your own questions at the back of your mind will eventually open up new ways of externalizing your own ideas. Actively look to see how others solved this. Talk to gallery owners and docents who give tours.

Asher