• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

upgrade

james sperry

i've never really had the need for any of the major uses of any ps programs. i opted to purchase the elements 4.0 only because it had everything that i needed at the time. now, i feel like MAYBE i could use some extra processes that are not available to elements 4.0. i'm not the most savy person when it comes to searching the internet, and i'm not the most trustful when it comes to salesmen. so i figured i might ask the good people here about being able to upgrade my elements 4.0.
is this posible or would there be a better bang for the buck if i went with a different program? lol ...... i don't have a lot of money to just drop on a fancy program

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
James,

James to answer the question, first ask yourself where you feel Elements 4 limits you? Are there things you wish you could do andd you can't? Ask yourself what you need from the program.

If you are going to use other software, there are a number of interesting alternatives. Howevwer, the important thing first is where do you see your photography going. It's easy to spend money before it's necessary.

Asher

P.S. Let's say you decided to wanted to upgrade, going Photoshop might be better. Still you don't need CS4 or even CS3. The only reason for these, really is to get the latest Adobe Camera RAW for oipening RAW files from the latest new cameras.

Frankly, apart from shadow highlight tool, almost all the tools I need are in Photoshop 7! I think if you could buy a used copy with legal transfer of the serial number of CS2, for example. Get it from a photographer who is not using that serial number for their own upgrade. You would have so much power, way more than you can use right now.

james sperry

James,

P.S. Let's say you decided to wanted to upgrade, going Photoshop might be better. Still you don't need CS4 or even CS3. The only reason for these, really is to get the latest Adobe Camera RAW for oipening RAW files from the latest new cameras.

actually, you just hit one of the reasons right here. i have never been able to upload my RAW photos since i have had this program. i have the software from canon, but i can not get the raw images into elements 4. and then, if i can get the raw images into elements, i'm sure there will be no way to edit them.
so mainly, i'm looking to be able to download and edit my RAW images.

Gary Ayala

actually, you just hit one of the reasons right here. i have never been able to upload my RAW photos since i have had this program. i have the software from canon, but i can not get the raw images into elements 4. and then, if i can get the raw images into elements, i'm sure there will be no way to edit them.
so mainly, i'm looking to be able to download and edit my RAW images.

James-

DPP, the free RAW conversion program from Canon is superb. Make sure you have the latest versions because the earlier releases were ho-hum-ish. I find that DPP delivers better color and sharpening than ACR (Adobe's RAW Conversion). DPP is very fast and easy to use.

My usual workflow is DPP for initial conversion and some global JPEG manipulation(s). Then import into CS2 for cropping and selective image manipulation (one can crop in DPP but I just do it in CS2).

I only use the tools/methodologies that were available to me in a wet darkroom. I prefer CS2 over Elements because there are less tool clicks in CS2.

Before you spend your monies on an expensive Adobe product ... try other image processing programs. Typically they are cheaper and product the same results. Try Capture One, Gimp (free), or Lightzone to name a few. (Lightzone is particularly interesting ... it is developed in a manner which reflects Ansel Adams "Zone" approach to photography.)

Most programs have a free 30 day trial ... so check them out, one spends a lot of time in processing ... so find a program that meets your requirements now, meets your requirements in the future and one which is somewhat intutive and comfortable for how you think and work.

Gary

james sperry

James-

DPP, the free RAW conversion program from Canon is superb. Make sure you have the latest versions because the earlier releases were ho-hum-ish. I find that DPP delivers better color and sharpening than ACR (Adobe's RAW Conversion). DPP is very fast and easy to use.

My usual workflow is DPP for initial conversion and some global JPEG manipulation(s). Then import into CS2 for cropping and selective image manipulation (one can crop in DPP but I just do it in CS2).

I only use the tools/methodologies that were available to me in a wet darkroom. I prefer CS2 over Elements because there are less tool clicks in CS2.

Before you spend your monies on an expensive Adobe product ... try other image processing programs. Typically they are cheaper and product the same results. Try Capture One, Gimp (free), or Lightzone to name a few. (Lightzone is particularly interesting ... it is developed in a manner which reflects Ansel Adams "Zone" approach to photography.)

Most programs have a free 30 day trial ... so check them out, one spends a lot of time in processing ... so find a program that meets your requirements now, meets your requirements in the future and one which is somewhat intutive and comfortable for how you think and work.

Gary

lol ..... so yeah, remember when i said i'm not internet savy? ... i'm at the site and i did the search for digital photo professional and nothing really comes up accept for press releases. i can't find the actual downloads.

Cem_Usakligil

lol ..... so yeah, remember when i said i'm not internet savy? ... i'm at the site and i did the search for digital photo professional and nothing really comes up accept for press releases. i can't find the actual downloads.
James,

There is a catch with DPP. Canon makes only updates available on their web sites. The original is located on the product driver disk which comes with the EOS Digital Cameras. So the first thing you should do is to find that disk and install DPP from there. Next, go to this link and donwload the most recent upgrade:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=314&modelid=17662
This page is for 5D MkII but the DPP update version works with all Canon cameras. You'll have to choose your OS first in the selection box. After that, the download options for software will become visible. The upgrade works on any older version of DPP.

Good luck,

Cheers,

Gary Ayala

LOL ... okay start here and follow the promps ... plug in camera, et cetera.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=DownloadIndexAct

The latest version I'm using is 3.5.2.0

Canon tends to release updates to DPP with the release of new cameras (new RAW type files) ... so ... you may want to plug in 50D to get the latest, the program is backward compatible.

Gary

james sperry

lol ..... ok, i did the download and all i got was a readme file. i'm using my laptop right now, should i be using my other computer that actually has my canon utilities on it?

Gary Ayala

lol ..... ok, i did the download and all i got was a readme file. i'm using my laptop right now, should i be using my other computer that actually has my canon utilities on it?

Yes, as Cem stated Canon software will only download to a computer that already has Canon software install.