• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Grab Portraits Challenge: Fast Grab- Portaits: No lights, no reflectors.

Michael Riley

Impromptu portrait of my mother's friend Freda.

6435081-lg.jpg

Shot under a shelter at an arts festival.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Michael,

Great contribution. Glad you posted this and look forward to much more! I like the natural light and the likely unaltered skin. Do you have other shots taking in more of here head or some background. IOW, does this picture have siblings?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Sean,

I missed this lady! Do you know her or is this a casual connection! I do like the simplicity and sense of movement and chic. Is this all that you did or you have more. My interest is piqued.

Asher

Jim Galli

Pretty shot Marty.

Here's one that ain't so pretty. That's because it's a self portrait. Wasn't very fast either at 28 seconds f4. All you need to know about me though. Old. Camps in a 1967 13' RoadRunner trailer that only the basque sheep herders covet. I'm so far into the middle of no where in this picture, you can't even get there from where you're at. Railroad Valley if you have a decent Nevada map. I spent 4 glorious days just exploring. I set my camp up at the old abandoned ranch you see in the background. Soup, crackers, cheese, wine, really comfy bed, no alarm clock, no schedule. Oh, and so many LF cameras the tires almost popped.

JimCampNightsa.jpg

me - enjoying the quiet and some dago red​

Oops. Forgot the moon. Stand by...............OK, there we go.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Jim,

Excellent! How come you splurged on color! Must be digital! At least you have a dog with you? The moon is well images. With that, how many minutes would you need?

Asher

Sion Fullana

This was a quick snap shot, while waiting on a red traffic light. The girl was a by-stander right behind us, but I thought she was so beautiful I decided to "steal" this portrait with my iPhone.

2718998196_4bdbcee3fe_b.jpg

"Soho Beauty"
© Sion Fullana 2008

Lady In The Lake

I missed this lady! Do you know her or is this a casual connection! I do like the simplicity and sense of movement and chic. Is this all that you did or you have more. My interest is piqued.

I know her. It was one of two photos from the set, the rest were snapshots. All were pretty much unposed. This one worked well for me.

This is the second shot.

spe41069_20080806_1069_acr4.jpg

enjoy,

Sean

Commissioned work done for a photoshoot, for the model portfolio. The photosession was taken in a small appartment. The crystals you see in the foreground are that of an old chandelier. The light reflecting through it created a very nice effect and we used it as prop for the photo. Simplest things sometimes are the most beautiful things that come out in a photograph.

in_vogue_by_lomby79.jpg

Stefan
Portrait Studio Lighting

White Space!

Shot this picture of a friend's daughter performing at the local General Store earlier this summer.

The sky outside was gray and overcast with the light coming in through a large storefront window. I knew I had good light the minute I saw it. This was the first frame of the day, and none were better.

IMG_3648.jpg

EXIF data isn't immediately available but probably f/8 at 1/60 at ISO 800 on my 30D with the 17-85 IS lens.

cansei_de_ser_sexy_by_lomby79.jpg

Candid photo of my girlfriend taken at the beach. With no make up or anything else.This shows that a beautiful portrait can be taken even if with no preparation. These would be usually the most expressive portraits that the photographer would take.

Its not all in the light equipment or anything else but what makes the difference is the attitude of the model.

Portrait Studio Lighting
Cheers
Stefan

Candid photo of my girlfriend taken at the beach.

Hi Stefan,

The direct link is not showing in my browser, but I followed the link and saw a nice trianglar composition with a leading diagonal. I don't like the tight crop of her head/hair. The color is, I assume, intentionally off? I prefer natural skincolor ;-)

Bart

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Tight crop

What a beautiful lady. I love this kind of style to my compositions and frequently crop tight. I agree that some of the best images come because the subject is familiar with the photographer and is relaxed. The skintone color appears off somewhat but part of it is probably my monitor which is not my photo monitor.

The colour of the skin is maybe a little off i agree. Its not your monitor.
Thanks for your nice comment. We were very relaxed that day. :) Seeing it from the point of view of the model she was seeing a small beach with crystal clear sea, in front of her and a spectacular view. :)

Stefan
Portrait Studio Lighting

Clayton Lofgren

Four years late

I first saw this youngster about four years ago, and was struck by his impish features. It was one of the rare ocasions when I was caught without a camera. By the time I caught him again he had changed a lot, but still thought he made a good subject.

3884b56df21b4286a92c64b7e189a3f2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

4f58a9ba407a4456850f7f618b2afa6d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

a753ed5651d244efa6a84da14e18e792.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]​

fahim mohammed

A resident's life

After a long day and night in the ER, my son returned home as I was testing my pre-asph lux 50 at
f/1.4 for a forthcoming trip.

He was beat!

p597529398.jpg

fahim mohammed

Hmmm, I agree the DOF is more than expected at that fl. so I checked again and i do not believe this is
at 1.4 more like 2.8 ( the exif gives the speed , iso and fl ). Also the other pics at f 1.4 have a much thinner dof and a more creamy and soft look to them.

My bad.

Yes this was on the M8.

Regards.

Fahim,

Is this on the M8? It still has a good DOF! Glad you did not have a DSLR to wake him up!

Asher

Robert Watcher

These 2 fellows approached me while I was taking a vista shot of the "Central Valley" (of Costa Rica) from high atop a clearing part way up Poas Mountain. I gestured to them and they obligued. I pointed for them to look out over the valley:

20090205-E3052435.jpg

Good looking fellow - had to get a nice portrait of him. Hopefully I bump into them again so I can provide them with a print:

20090205-E3052438.jpg

Asher Kelman

To me, Robert, the special joy of the boy is not just having his photo taken it rather his love for his grandfather. For sure, you must be giving out good vibes to get this warm reaction.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

"Papa"

I met this grand gentleman and his daughter in the bank today. I couldn't resist taking his photograph, so I asked him to look towards me and then made this image from the Canon G10 snap.

IMG_7544_600.jpg

Photo Asher Kelman "Papa at the Bank"​

I especially liked his warmth and the love his daughter showed for him. This made me feel good the rest of the day!

Asher

There's a jpg artifact around his head, not a halo! It's not present in the full sized picture.

Rachel Foster

What an amazing face. I would love to see what you could have done with an SLR. A more shallow dof might have been nice. Very crisp for a point and shoot.

I'm travelling to see the Yousuf Karsh exhibit today. Ken Tanaka wrote about the exhibit on TOP here. So, I've been browsing portraits of my own and online. Which brings me to this!

bozo-woman.jpg

Nikon D300, 24-70 2.8 | 1/25 sec at f/2.8, ISO 800, 32mm

I was in Mali, W. Africa in Dec/Jan. We took a pirogue across the Niger river to an island (actually part of the inland delta) where these women were making dinner on a stove made out of MUD. The sun had already receded below the horizon and this Bozo woman INSISTED (through our translator) that I take her picture.