• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This work was made over 8 years ago out of solid steel rods, heated with a line of blow torches and and bent cooled, welded, ground, polished and painted.

Asher Kelman: “The Conversation”
Polished Carbon Steel with
Swedish-Red Pigment

On the left, a flamboyant successful male boasts all his wealth, great attributes, learning, interests and passion for her. The maiden on the right is impressed but wonders whether such a fabulous fellow can ever be loyal!

Now I am making a larger derivative in two ways. First using larger diameter aircraft aluminum tubing.

In addition, I have made a 3D file and will attempt to print it!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I have further developed this concept and did indeed print it and then electroplated the print with copper, nickel and finally osmium for a beautiful mirror finish.

The other parts were 3D printed out of acrylic like materials.

748EEC49-D63A-448D-9CF3-5241C8BEFC11.jpeg

This will be offered to a City for a commission at x20 Size, ending up at 40ft Long, but in stainless steel and glass.

Asher

Asher Kelman

A woman on left, a man on right, but as seen from a distance.

However it’s a personal unique interaction up close. It’s a 3D work that changes according to the viewers position and at the same time it frames different parts of the landscape. A person near it, can only view part of it!

2F52FD10-582B-4A0F-8AD5-C6919B5ABAF0.jpeg

So this is a monumental work to be explored in an immersive experience.

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

So a different position creates a new dynamic perspective.

3ACBB1CC-D37C-4DBF-9B43-C75DE96B56AE.jpeg

851CC9AE-B46E-4CDC-BE6B-A4CAD7FC0469.jpeg

9C1C9AA1-EF50-4532-AE92-0C81A8DDF275.jpeg

B15B2C22-A6DF-4EB6-8635-DC21BA3B88FA.jpeg

This way, the viewer personally interacts with both art and the trees and hills of the landscape.​

Asher

Doug Kerr

I have further developed this concept and did indeed print it and then electroplated the print with copper, nickel and finally osmium for a beautiful mirror finish.

The other parts were 3D printed out of acrylic like materials.

View attachment 9473

This will be offered to a City for a commission at x20 Size, ending up at 40ft Long, but in stainless steel and glass.

Asher
Hi, Asher,

Why are there two sculptures with the same title but totally different colors and details?

Or are we to just consider the red one a "draft"?

Best regards,

Doug
Sent from my Dyson vacuum cleaner

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Why are there two sculptures with the same title but totally different colors and details?

Or are we to just consider the red one a "draft"?

Best regards,

Doug
Sent from my Dyson vacuum cleaner
Conversation I is the first edition with just the overall form defined.

Conversation II adds components and a mirror finish to be able to scale it up x8 of that original size and interact better with landscape and passer’s by at that huge scale.

Will Thompson

Inactive
This work was made over 8 years ago out of solid steel rods, heated with a line of blow torches and and bent cooled, welded, ground, polished and painted.

View attachment 2524

Polished Carbon Steel with
Swedish-Red Pigment

On the left, a flamboyant successful male boasts all his wealth, great attributes, learning, interests and passion for her. The maiden on the right is impressed but wonders whether such a fabulous fellow can ever be loyal!

Now I am making a larger derivative in two ways. First using larger diameter aircraft aluminum tubing.

In addition, I have made a 3D file and will attempt to print it!

Asher
Asher, can I taste some of the Red Licorice in your sculpture?

Asher Kelman

So this is a proposal to your city. How do you explain the art; can you tell us?
Thanks, Maggie for that excellent question.

I saw in a ballet, a well coiffed self-important magnificent male dancer confidentially approach a ballerina who paused a long time to consider and accept him despite his proud dance, pirouetting around her. She wasn’t overwhelmed, but stood her ground considering.

I remembered that as a “wordless extended conversation” and thought how it might represent a suitor with wealth, style and many resources and a beautiful fertile woman, (yellow ova on an open ring), he wishes to commit to him.

DCBD2E44-B8A3-4388-8765-9B3903B342B1.jpeg

D79446A7-7646-41DC-8F9D-0A6CCC291C16.jpeg

The blue ribbon is the flamboyant man’s fabulous colored hair.

I am thrilled to have completed the 1/20 size model and created a fabrication process that delivered an amazing result.

However, only a full size towering sculpture has the gravitas and curvaceous spaces to allow the viewer to compose and explore the overlapping forms against the landscape.

So miniatures need to be shown alongside computer generated scenes from a viewers perspective of the sculpture on the hillside as it will be experienced.

Looking down on a model, however perfectly made, only shows a fraction of the set of experiences of the epic sculpture I hope to build shortly.

Asher