• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

2009 movie to present our agency…

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi OPFers

This not exactly our World ;-) but the World we work for…

Here is the 2009 movie to present our agency… It will be displayed on HD TV screen (42 inches) during Dusseldorf Boot Messe next January…

13:28 minutes, in depth into the yachting world…

http://claris.fr/video_validation/ Click on top: 1.CLARIS_FINAL_2009

Needs sound turned on!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Congratulations Nicolas, Marine and Romain on a very full and productive past several years.

Seeing pictures being made and following them through your screen and then to magazines, books and billboards in so impressive. The movie really shows fantastic work but it was obviously not a breeze. Every part of the way you had to strive for the best possible.

Let's hope that 2009 will be even busier! I am sure that clients will be drawn to your company when they see the attention you bring to everything you do.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,
Here is the 2009 movie to present our agency… It will be displayed on HD TV screen (42 inches) during Dusseldorf Boot Messe next January…

Lovely.

The score is great - "production music", but very effective.

If I had any technical criticism (you know I am not certified to give artistic criticism), it is that the lab zooms appear to follow a linear magnification curve, which makes them seem "rushed" toward the end. More appropriate, to me, is a curve that is the equivalent of a linear change in apparent distance to the scene (linear in 1/m), or perhaps a compromise in between.

A wonderful accomplishment. Congrats to Romain as well.

Best regards,

Doug

nicolas claris

Thank you Asher, Alain (coming from you, wow!) and Doug for the kind words.

Doug, the music was "composed" on Mac with Garage Band. Samples + 'midi' keyboard, We cannot avoid a full Orchestra for our small company ! ;-)

I understand your comment about the linear magification curve, I'll convey your remark to Romain, but I guess it was a real choice from him, as he also did some non linear motion speed but you may have not noticed them, on 2 video shots, starting at lower speed then accelarating to normal speed (so to speak for the Shipman 80!).

Video suffers the same issue as stills, from large HD files (1920 pixels wide) to Flash 320 pixel wide files… hmmm lot of losts, but at least one can view them on the Internet.

BTW, for those interested, Romain's blog can be seen here:

http://www.romainclarisfilms.com/

Alain Briot

pro member
Nicolas,

I am pleased you enjoyed my compliments. They are heartfelt.

Who is the music composer? I did not realize you also did the music when I watched the video. I'll have to watch it again and pay more attention to the music. I was so taken by the boats that I saw myself sailing away already!

nicolas claris

Bonjour Alain
My son Romain did compose the music (using Garage Band samples plus 'midi' keyboard).

Glad we made you sail away! Quite an intent in fact…

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Nicolas,

At the risk of coming over as friends patting each other's back, I'll still go ahead and say that I've liked it very much. I have watched it once myself and another time with my wife. Although a bit long, the film is not boring at all and it holds one's attention even after repetitive viewing. I think it will be an excellent promo at your stand if it is shown at HD quality.

Kudos to Romain.

Cheers,

nicolas claris

Thanks Cem
We're honest enough -though friends;-)- to tell each other our real feelings. Otherwise they would be unusefull…

if it is shown at HD quality
certainly! on a 42 inches monitor, 2.45 Gb for 13 minutes - MPEG4 compression - Dolby sound - Playstation 3 as Bluray reader…

Charlotte Thompson

Nicolas

First I must say- I love the music
and second I must say- wow wouldn't any artist absolutelty adore their art being shown in such an astronominical fashion!
your work is - well- music-

you inspire me!
not many do!

Charlotte-

nicolas claris

Thanks Cem
We're honest enough -though friends;-)- to tell each other our real feelings. Otherwise they would be unusefull…

certainly! on a 42 inches monitor, 2.45 Gb for 13 minutes - MPEG4 compression - Dolby sound - Playstation 3 as Bluray reader…

So I after many Internet and store studies, I went today to a local store to buy THE monitor, a: SONY KDL-40W4500 (US version should be KDL-40W4100)

Before leaving next Friday for Dusseldorf where we do have a stand at the Boot Messe, I wanted to check that we did well choosing and buying that 100 Hz Sony monitor.
It took Romain and I about 10 minutes to unpack the thing and plug the Playstation…

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!

Tru colors, good color temp, perfect details, very good motion detection and response!
D'you remember the Shipman 80 sailing shots? you just feel like being onboard :)

If you are on the market for a new TV, my friends, do consider this one!

There is a 200 Hz, but the difference of quality is not worth the difference of price…

Only the sound is not perfect, we'll have to add an amplifier and good speakers (that we do have already:)

Cem_Usakligil

...Tru colors, good color temp, perfect details, very good motion detection and response! D'you remember the Shipman 80 sailing shots? you just feel like being onboard :)
Hi Nicolas,

I am looking forward to experiencing it first hand in Dusseldorf this weekend! Great :)

Cheers,

romain claris

pro member
coming soon : new claris agency video presentation 2010

claris.jpg

to see the 2009 claris video presentation : http://www.romainclarisfilm.com/claris_uk.php
because photography and video are so close !
change HQ to SD if read is not smooth, use full screen and sound system to the max !
best regards
romain claris

nicolas claris

Hi Romain
let's not sell the bear furr before we catch the bear!
the video showed in your link (which I changed to a direct link to the right page on your site) is the same as on the original link to the 1st post of this thread... So, many OPFers may have seen it already. Ok, I agree, sometimes a bump ain't that bad ;-)

As you know, the new presentation will be shown only in January, but in the meantime, you'll have some other nice" things" to show…

OTOH:
because photography and video are so close !
is a full debate! You should elaborate on this as not everybody would agree with you…
Now I let you the hand!

fahim mohammed

Nicolas, Just finished watching the links u provided. Congratulations to you and Romain and I wish you
all continued success.

Hope you bring us more dynamic images of your endeavors.

Regards.

Sandra Jones

Nicolas...congratulations on all your success. It must be very exciting. The videos are stunning and I quite liked the music too. I went to Romain's site and watched the "making of.." film. Apart from it being technically well done, I really enjoyed seeing you at work and getting some sense of how you achieve those amazing shots. What a team!