• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

3 years work - a portrait of the yacht CNB 100 "Chrisco"

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Last thursday, exactly 3 years after the beginning, we have shot (Romain in video and I with stills).
This is the end of an assignement made by both the owner and the boatyard to follow the construction of a 100 feet (30 meters) sailing yacht, designed by Luca Brenta for naval architecture and Wetzels Brown for interiors.
She was built to the highest standard by CNB in Bordeaux.
The purpose of the photoshoot is to print a photobook (80 pages, leather hard cover, 14inches wide X 20 inches high) not for sale! The concept being not pedagogical but catching the right and "strong" moments… (same in video).
Hence the choice of posting here, in this thread, it is an architectural and industrial job…

I have post already here and there shots made earlier…

Please, please do not pick-up photos and repost anywhere else on the net, also no edit. Thank you.

15_45R5877_Chrisco.jpg

_45R5840_1.jpg

30_45R6984_Chrisco.jpg

57_45R5809_Chrisco.jpg

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

Bonjour Nicolas,

Of course we already knew the very high standards of your photography, but you seem to have gotten even better; this is excellent work! I am amazed, truly. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nicolas Claris' Photos of a yacht at full sail: a dream made to fly over water!

Nicolas,

Your work has evolved to even new heights. The technical issues have long, long ago been solved and all you do now is tell the truth about nautical magic and beauty. Dreams of men materialized. That's what art is!

Asher

Last edited by a moderator:

nicolas claris

all you do now is tell the truth about nautical magic and beauty. Dreams of men materialized. That's what art is!

Thanks my friend, that's what I try to convey…
Is this art? I don't think so… and would never called myself an artist (it's other people only that could tell)

Then "reportage" would perhaps be more meaningfull… ?

janet Smith

pro member
Good morning Nic

What a wonderful way to start my day, with vibrant colours and billowing sails, perfect!

These really are absolutely spectacular, I particularly like No 3, all the interior shots, the penultimate one, and - oh well - all of them!

nicolas claris

Cem, Janet and Paul

Thanks! it has been a work done with passion and love for the project.
Challenging as always, but I knew I'll had to dig the technique for this one! hence my search for a VERY good wide angle, hence a special technique to find to shoot the interiors full of white glossy laquers and dark but not black carbon pieces such as the floor tiles… (not forgetting the light changing of color inside)
I also knew I'll have to specially care attention with the reflections on the glass roof and shiny hull.
Last but not least, keeping all details from helicopter was also challenging as, beside crew shirts and sea water foam, there were just no white and the camera light measurement were to be completely falsed, now, imagine checking the histogram while flying and turning around like a big bee, facing sun and the second later having sun in your back… no way! you've got to rely on your own feeling and technique and thanks the guy who inveted raw files!

Now, ultimate job, we have to dig and select which images will have the right to be in the book… remember the job started 3 years ago and there were more than 20 different photo sessions… thousands of files…

nicolas claris

Did I say work on reflections ;-?

_45R7690_Chrisco.jpg

BTW ALL images here are full frame, no crop (except slight for horizon).

nicolas claris

Thanks Johan
I can't show much of shots made during construction for now, will do when it will be authorised…

Just know that we started that job on Sept.28, 2006 and made the last shutter clic on October 1st, 2009.
In the meantime we had 37 different photo sessions and have in stock 8959 raw files …

Michael Fontana

pro member
3 years, that's a long time - and very interesting to go with!

9000 RAWs to 80 pages - there is some passion involved, the passion which shows up in these outstanding results.

designed by Luca Brenta for naval architecture
what dou you mean with naval architecture? research?

Hmm, how you deal with Moirée?
The interiors look like renderings.... you might add a bit of dirt... ;-)

Personally, I like the Porto Cervo serie best, due to its action...

nicolas claris

3 years, that's a long time - and very interesting to go with!

9000 RAWs to 80 pages - there is some passion involved, the passion which shows up in these outstanding results.

designed by Luca Brenta for naval architecture
what dou you mean with naval architecture? research?

Hmm, how you deal with Moirée?
The interiors look like renderings.... you might add a bit of dirt... ;-)

Personally, I like the Porto Cervo serie best, due to its action...

Bonsoir Michael
a naval architect is the guy who draws the waterline, the shape of the boat, the deck and roof but also the mast, rigging (standing and running) the deck layout is very important both for comfort/safety and ease of boat handling.
He has also to deal with the internal structure that maintain the boat shape and strength.
Sometimes the naval architec is also the interior designer but not always…

More

The most reknown naval architecture school is in Southampton (UK)

Moiré ? till now C1 dealed quite correctly, if you're talking about the sails, their strucutre may looks like it has moiré but it isn't; it is a very complicated technology, fore more, see here and there

As for the interiors, they print beautifully and not looking that 3D… ;-)

Last edited:

nicolas claris

Wow to the boat's builders

Yep! and here's CNB's stand with the photos of Chrisco during the Monacoyachtshow (Sept. 2009):

_45R9137.jpg

_45R9020.jpg

And finally, Christco itslef (herself!) berthed and presented by the yard at the Monacoyachtshow:

_45R9172.jpg

Visit sur "Rendez-vous" only!

Asher Kelman

_45R9020.jpg

I'd love to have just stopped by, Nicolas and surprised you with Champagne! We're so proud of you and your consistently elegant and masterful work.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well, Nicolas, I finally got to see the Chrisco in person. It was Wendy who noticed and recognized this wonderful boat! "That's Nicolas's super- yacht!", she said!

It was moored at the dock near the boats in the America Cup in San Francisco, last week. We waited around, but the owners were no where around!

Asher