• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

3008WFP Calibration?

Peter Chang

I just picked up a 3008WFP and found this thread. Using Coloreyes and my old X-Rite DTP94, I haven't been getting good results - the color seems really off compared to my adjacent 3007WFP. Also for some reason Coloreyes doesn't recognize DDC mode and sets to LCD Brightness / Gains... Is this because my old 3007WFP is not DDC compliant?

I've read that since the 3008WFP is wide gamut, the best puck to use is the Spyder3.

BTW, I'm running Windows 7 RC1 x64.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Peter,

I have read in various places that none of the Dell monitors are recognized as being DDC capable by ColorEyes Pro, so it was a very nice surprise to me to find out that my 3008WFP actually works as a DDC monitor with CEP. As the electronics of 3008 are inherently different than that of 3007, I cannot comment on why DDC isn't recognized on the 3007 other than that it is expected behaviour and I am not surprised. Or did you mean to say that DDC isn't recognized on the 3008 either? In that case, the version of CEP might be the culprit; upgrade to the latest version and retest. I know that in the previous version my PC would crash even if I have attempted to load the DDC library of CEP at the startup let alone function with DDC, so I am assuming that the newest version has fixed an old bug in that area. I now have a dual monitor setup whereby the second monitor isn't DDC but the 3008 still is DDC so it isn't a problem to have a mixed environment.

Re. the puck, I think that this is a bit of a nonsense. My Spyder2 works perfectly and the profiles it generates are great with avg. dEs less than 0.5. Saying that the puck isn't capable of working with large gamut displays would mean that the hardware of the puck is somewhat limited to measure only the light emission of the smaller gamut of traditional monitors. I doubt that this is the case. All is possible but I don't think that this is true. To me the proof is in the results I am getting with my old Spyder2.

Cheers,

PS: Since the previous threads on this topic were in the CM forum, I have moved this one to there as well.

Andrew Rodney

DDC capabilities of lack thereof are iffy. Its possible that the software just can't communicate. I'd ask the ColorEye's guys to explain.

As for a wide gamut unit, the best "puck" (assuming you mean a colorimeter and not a Spectrophotometer which has no such issues) is one with filters mated for the unit. I know NEC and a few other companies with wide gamut units have X-Rite build them a special OEM with such filters. That said, I've seen no real issues using the DTP94 on my wide gamut displays (NEC 2690 and 3090). The WP values are off about CCT 500K, its easy in my software to adjust for that using a custom WP.

Chas Frady

From what I've read in the ColorEyes Support and Technical Forum, Dell likes to use non-industry standard (if there is such a thing) DDC in its monitors. And it differs from one Dell model to the next. So ColorEyes is reluctant to build in DDC support for Dell monitors.

Peter Chang

Cem, I updated to the latest version of CEP and it's still not recognizing my 3008 as DDC. I tried with both my old DTP94 and a new Spyder3.

I can't seem to get my 3008 and 3007 to match. The 3008 is warmer - the reds are almost too vivid, whereas things are a bit drab (but possibly more accurate?) on the 3007.

Here's what I did:

1. Reduced brightness on 3008 to 0, left contrast at 50 (default), and left the preset on desktop (default)

2. Calibrated to D65 and max luminance, black @ relative min

3. Ended up with the following on the 3008:

White Point Target: D65, 104 cd/m2
Gamma Target: L*
Black Point Target: 0.268 cd/m2

4. On the 3007, I reduced brightness all the way, then for white point target, I measured with the sensor on the 3008, took a reading, and then set the white luminance target to 104 cd/m2.

5. Results on the 3007:

White Point Target: 6517K, 104 cd/m2
Gamma Target: L*
Black Point Target: 0.261 cd/m2

Average dEs were all less than 0.5.

Is it even possible to get these monitors to match? I'm thinking the wide gamut on the 3008 might be the culprit.

Maybe I'm just used to the 3007's more muted colors, so the 3008 seems a bit over-saturated. But perhaps the 3008 is more accurate?

This guy seemed to have a similar problem.