• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

36th Chaos Communication Congress (36C3)

Jerome Marot

The 36th Chaos Communication Congress (36C3) took place in Leipzig, 27.-30.12.2019, and was the 2019 edition of the annual four-day conference on technology, society and utopia organised by the Chaos Computer Club (CCC) and volunteers.

The included pictures can only give a hint of a feeling of the place. The event is the largest in Europe, with over 15000 participants. It includes gathering of hacker's associations from all over Germany and more, but also activists of various fashions, art installations, etc...

As it is not allow to photograph people without authorisation, the pictures were taken in the early hours of the morning, when most people are asleep. This is why it looks empty of people.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Very interesting and extraordinary. It’s like a water hole for free thinking rebels against conformity

Do you need a press pass to get authorization?

Asher

Jerome Marot

More pictures.

C-base (the Hackerspaces Berlin)

Main hub with moving lights.

Art installations in Hall 2.​

Asher Kelman

I am not sure I understand the question. What "authorization" do you have in mind?
You wrote:

"As it is not allow to photograph people without authorisation, the pictures were taken in the early hours of the morning, when most people are asleep. This is why it looks empty of people."

Jerome Marot

I should have written it better. To photograph anyone on the congress, you need to get authorisation from the person you photograph. If you want to photograph a room with 3000 people, you need to ask these 3000 people individually, which means in practice that it won't happen. There are no exceptions for the press or anyone else.

Asher Kelman

I should have written it better. To photograph anyone on the congress, you need to get authorisation from the person you photograph. If you want to photograph a room with 3000 people, you need to ask these 3000 people individually, which means in practice that it won't happen. There are no exceptions for the press or anyone else.
But you could ask a group of the 3 people you find interesting orciscit considered bad form?

In the streets where mostly Hispanics live and can be seen by food stands or street markets, there can be fear that one is an agent of the feared ICE Federal service that raids places and kicks undocumented/illegal aliens out of the Country.

Does that kind of fear from government form the basis for need for “authorization” or is it part of the German or European culture?

Asher

Jerome Marot

But you could ask a group of the 3 people you find interesting orc is it considered bad form?

You can ask people, yes. Presumably, they will ask what you intend to do with the pictures.

Does that kind of fear from government form the basis for need for “authorization” or is it part of the German or European culture?

This is a hacker congress. Participants are highly aware of privacy risks as these are regularly discussed in the associated lectures. For example, they may no want TV crews to film the audience in a large lecture room and their employer recognise them. Or they don't want to make it too easy for the authorities to generate a list of activists. Some people also use the occasion to dress quite differently than they usually do (cross-dress or dress as a fury animal, for example) and appreciate that it is safe for them to do so.

As it is a private event (means you need to get an entrance ticket), the organisers are allowed to legally enforce any rule about photography they like. They chose that particular rule, which fits the participants. The press regularly complains that this is not fair and that they need images of people for the news, but there is not much they can do legally about it.

It would be different if the event was public, but it does not necessarily mean it would be less problematic. For example, there was a so-called "slut walk" in Munich last summer. This is an event where provocatively dressed women go in the streets to demonstrate against rape, basically. I took pictures. Legally, I am allowed to publish them as long as they show a group of people, because the event was public. In the end, I decided against publication. I thought that the risk was too high that one of the women would be recognised and singled out of context.

I can publish that photograph from that event. Maybe it makes it clear what the problem is:

What we do with our pictures is a complex suggest when there are other people involved. They take the risk and we don't. If you want to discuss that particular subject, maybe it would be better in its own thread.

Asher Kelman

Thanks for the explanation. It’s very reasonable!

Still any pictures you post here will, likely as not never comecto the attention of those folk. Besides you wouldn’t use any picture that would hurt anyone.

But I can imagine a conservative school principal dismissing a math teacher who had an outrageously transparent blouse or who was carrying a sign against Jesus!

Here we are much more aggressive in street photography.

I celebrate these hackers originality but fear the knowledge can too easily leveraged by crooks to ruin individuals or by hostile States or Terrorists to cripple our essential infrastructure such as power grids!

How does Europe balance the opposing needs of being a rebel and not gifting Iran, North Korea or crooks!

How much does the fair cost for an entrance ticket and how do they screen for law enforcement

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

I was reflexly trying to wipe away the raised torn tag in the sign!

Why did my brain get so easily fooled!

Asher

Jerome Marot

Still any pictures you post here will, likely as not never comecto the attention of those folk.

We don't know. Times have changed and anything that can be found with a search engine is a potential risk.

I celebrate these hackers originality but fear the knowledge can too easily leveraged by crooks to ruin individuals or by hostile States or Terrorists to cripple our essential infrastructure such as power grids!

How does Europe balance the opposing needs of being a rebel and not gifting Iran, North Korea or crooks!

It is very simple really, it works in the opposite way. If our infrastructure can be crippled by a script kiddie, it is not safe from North Korea or Iran as these have the means and money of state-sponsored terrorism.

How much does the fair cost for an entrance ticket and how do they screen for law enforcement

The entrance ticket costs €140 (for the 4 days). That price more or less covers the costs. People with financial difficulties can apply for a discount and people going there for their work or simply having the means are expected to buy a more expensive ticket.
There is no screening for law enforcement. I am not really sure what you mean. Nothing presented at congress is illegal and, of course, law enforcement could enter the premises if they had a reason.

Asher Kelman

I have no doubt that a lot of the folk come from very diverse professions and occupations. Must be very stimulating. Do companies like Norton Utilities and Kapersky and Israeli security companies have booths?

Asher

Peter Dexter

I had to look this up and here's what I found:

The 36th Chaos Communication Congress (36C3) took place in Leipzig, 27.-30.12.2019, and was the 2019 edition of the annual four-day conference on technology, society and utopia organised by the Chaos Computer Club (CCC) and volunteers.

Peter Dexter

Also this reminds me a little of the old International Design Conference at Aspen (attended a couple) now called Aspen Ideas Conference...I think.

Last edited:

Jerome Marot

Also this reminds me a little of the old International Design Conference at Aspen (attended a couple) now called Aspen Ideas Conference...I think.

It seems to be different. From this website, I understand that "When the International Design Conference in Aspen was launched in 1949 in an obscure former silver-mining town west of Denver, Colorado, the goal was to bring designers and business leaders together to foster understanding of what design could accomplish." There are no business leaders at congress.

Jerome Marot

Peter Dexter

Don't know about when it was launched in 1949 but the times I attended in the seventies it was geared towards artists, musicians, architects and designers of every kind of course from tapestry design to city design. In it's iteration as "Ideas Festival" it appears to deal mostly with politics and political issues.