• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

80D or EOS 6D Mark II

Denis Rogozin

Many of you suggested in a previous thread I move to a full frame camera due to lenses I already own.

My current gear:
Canon 20D body (Dead)
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Canon Speedlite 420EX

Are all the above lenses compatible with a full frame camera like a 6D II or would I have to lose some of them?

Originally I was going to purchase 80D with Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, but i think 18-135mm is an EF-S lens which means its not compatible with full frame cameras. Anything I buy from now on I want to make sure is compatible with full frame in case I go that route in the future.

I think regardless of what I buy, I’m just going to get the body only and use my existing lenses for now. Maybe purchase one more lens fast prime or ultra wide angle lens.

So I narrowed my choice between 80D and EOS 6D Mark II https://cameravs.com/Canon-EOS-80D-vs-Canon-EOS-6D-Mark-II , What is everyones thoughts on Canon eos 80d vs 6d? Some have said EOS 6D Mark II is like a Full frame 80D. Better in low light, full frame, etc…The bad news is it is almost negative is almost double the price of the 80D.

I have around $900 in Amazon credit plus another $1,000 I have saved up. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

The type of photography I like to shoot: portraits, night scenes, indoor, landscapes, sports(my kid's basketball/soccer games), low light and creative photography.

Last edited:

Jerome Marot

All your lenses are compatible with a full frame camera:
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

Any camera built in the past 10 years is good enough for anyone's needs BUT sports photography. For this particular use, recent progresses in AF are worth it.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Denis,

With the brilliant 17-40 f4.0, you can easily work with the 80D. It’s a modern camera and now you will also have extra reach for the superb 70-200 f4.0.

Don’t be put off by APS-C as it’s very useful with all your lenses. You can do a wedding, editorial, sports and wildlife!

I would even consider getting one “Refurbished” from Canon store as they are actually brand new, and with the same 1 year warranty!

.... and only drawback is that the box bay be unpainted!!

Asher