• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A flower shot for once...

Paul Abbott

A pair of Poppy's...

poppy1of1grainy640.jpg

Paul Abbott Untitled '10

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A pair of Poppy's...

poppy1of1grainy640.jpg

Paul Abbott Untitled '10

Paul,

I must admit you had me flummoxed with the title of a "flower shot for once" and then seeing two of them shot at the same time! I don't think I have heard the expression, "for once" for ages!

Remarkably, it is also similar on construction to your recent B&W photograph of the bridge here. The center of interest recedes at an angle to less importance to the right. I immediately saw your bridge there once more here with the flower!

The placement of the first flower so close to the left lower borders does create tension. It's a bold act which can destroy a picture, removing room for context creation by our minds. Here, however, this tension is fully relieved by the wide spread of the petals and the detail of the center of the first flower and secondly by the subsequent exquisite progression to softness in the second flower.

All this might sound esoteric but simply said, your picture is refreshing, your style and I like it! I do still wonder how it would be with more space all around. That is just something that I'd still consider exploring.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Paul,

Let me address the softness brought about by just use of the characteristic of the lens. I commend you on the delicate nature of the second flower. We already know the detail, you provided an indistinct addition we can understand completely, just in a splash of disappearing color! There's just enough to balance the composition.

I so like pictures where the softness of the optics, and not just photoshop, has rendered different levels of significance to various elements. Jim Galli with his soft focus lenses for LF and 35 mmm work is a devotee of course. His latest picture here also shares this esthetic. I'd commend all newbies and a lot of the rest of us to look again at these pictures and take note of how effective it can be to do the work in the camera instead of always resorting to filters or being over impressed with even illumination and edge sharpness outside of architecture and documentation.

Asher

Paul Abbott

Thanks very much, Asher.

I can allow for more space on either side of the image but I found it lost some of it's impact. There is no more space to be had top or bottom, it's as shot.
Anyway, i'll post the full frame image later.

Jim's image is lovely, I really am amazed at what he did with that scope and the resulting 'toy car' image he produced with it.

Asher Kelman

Paul,

I hope you will work further with delicate subjects like this as it makes for a great way to keep your whole perspective in balance: massive buildings, works of man and commerce and then the simple forms of life we depend on and take for granted!

Asher