• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Miracle in Hello

Pao Dolina

A Miracle in Hello

A Miracle in Hello, tells a story of four troubled high school students from a posh-school whose lives were changed after an unfortunate incident and a classroom brawl that sent them to the Principal’s office and on to the hands of a new and mysterious teacher.

The teacher’s unconventional ways, frowned upon by some, eventually transformed and touched the students’ lives and of those around them. His cool vibe, strong faith, compassion and positive influence started a friendship in the unlikeliest of circumstance.

With this teacher’s guidance and care, friendship grows, so did the students’ faith, understanding and love for one another and for the world. Their renewed spirit were affirmed when they realize the real identity of their mysterious teacher.

A Miracle in Hello by Paolo Dolina, on Flickr

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A Miracle in Hello

A Miracle in Hello, tells a story of four troubled high school students from a posh-school whose lives were changed after an unfortunate incident and a classroom brawl that sent them to the Principal’s office and on to the hands of a new and mysterious teacher.

The teacher’s unconventional ways, frowned upon by some, eventually transformed and touched the students’ lives and of those around them. His cool vibe, strong faith, compassion and positive influence started a friendship in the unlikeliest of circumstance.

With this teacher’s guidance and care, friendship grows, so did the students’ faith, understanding and love for one another and for the world. Their renewed spirit were affirmed when they realize the real identity of their mysterious teacher.

A Miracle in Hello by Paolo Dolina, on Flickr

First, Pao,

The photograph. It’s simply beautiful. At first I thought you had dressed her with a blouse with a pink collar or perhaps a silk scarf matching her guitar. But that’s just fabulously effective reflection from the pink of the instrument!

Her face shows deep mental involvement in the sincerity and truth of her song. This picture is uplifting, pure and a delight!

I love it!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Next, Pao,

Let me share my angst about your story. I really expected a video or at least a series of inages documenting this wonderful report.

Is this an imaginary, but still wonderful , perhaps even, “religious” experience, or is this part of an actual story of what happened, and I have just been clumsy in finding your link to the entire work?

:unsure:

Asher

Pao Dolina

Your welcome Asher.

Hi Antonio great question. I was deliberating focusing on one person at a time as it helps keeps your attention to that specific individual. Indoor shoots require a fast lens so I maintained it at f/2.0

Asher Kelman

Pao,

I find theatrical images, when the entire stage is in focus, less interesting.

What you show here is wonderfullly intimate!

Asher

Pao Dolina

Why thank you Asher. I think theater photography with the whole stage in focus tends to be the norm. I like doing photography that focuses on one subject to stand out.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

The photograph. It’s simply beautiful. At first I thought you had dressed her with a blouse with a pink collar or perhaps a silk scarf matching her guitar. But that’s just fabulously effective reflection from the pink of the instrument!

Hard to believe that refection from any part of the guitar could do that to the front of the blouse, the right sleeve, and so forth. But maybe the lighting was pink.

Pao: Great series of shots, great story.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Doug,

So it’s hard to think that reflection from a pink guitar could color the adjacent blouse?

Well, yes it can and does, my good friend, especially at the short distances involved!

That is why you need a black shirt and bg when editing or viewing prints!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Doug,

So it’s hard to think thstcreflectiob from a pink guitar could color the adjacent blouse?

Well, yes it can and does, my good friend, especially at the short distances involved!

That is why you need a black shirt and bg when editing or viewing prints!

So maybe the pink light reflecting off the front of the guitar reflected off Pao's white shirt into the blouse.

Well, it is truly a miracle.

Interestingly enough, I have on a black shirt just now.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Doug,
This phenomenon of light spill, as I have described, is very well known in photography.

Think about it: we routinely use gold-colored reflectors to add a golden glow to a subject. Well this is merely a pink reflector doing exactly the same function by the happenstance of choosing a pink guitar.

I like the ambience it adds to the picture!

Asher

Nice set of images and gives us a good idea of how everything in this stage production looked. The first image, with the black background, albeit lit by the stage technician, to me is the best because of the expression on her face. Just wonderful! Thanks for sharing! :) Maggie

Asher Kelman

Pao,

Was there a pink spotlight on her or is the pink of her shirt totally explained by reflections from her very pink guitar?

Or her shirt is pink and the white areas are from the bright spotlight masking the pink!

It seems that the shirt is indeed pink!

Asher