• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: A Recursion of misplaced values (photographing beggars)

Hi All,

I don't usually take to photographing those less fortunate than I am (especially as, here in Johannesburg, there are so many), but I could not resist the symbolism, composition and colours of this scene. After asking his permission, I realised that I had in fact built up a mental "block" for photographing people on the street, face-to-face, and this was the first time ever that I had broken through that personal barrier.

This man wanders all around the Melville / Greenside / Emmarentia area (Johannesburg, ZA), and in this image I wanted to capture the strange perversion of non-journalist photographers that like to photograph and exhibit homeless people like pieces of art (ironically, thus joining their ranks in a manner of speaking). We have had a number of such works on this forum before. I hope to have captured a form of recursion here where (pretty bad) photography is sold as art inside a rather pretentious gallery (you have to see the poor quality work, and the high prices, to believe it). Each of these works probably go for more than this man will see in a year, or a decade.

And here another photograph is created, of this strange set of values we have of paying more money for a mediocre picture, than what we would to help somebody like this. I do not mean individuals, but society as a whole. The recursion would be complete if ever I had this gallery exhibit a print of this photograph in this very window. Although - I am not sure if they are into exhibiting works with deeper meaning or emotions (looking at their regular work) but perhaps rather just "quirky but fashionable pictures". I am also not so sure of my own ability to create true "meaning", but I would like to know what you think of my image, as well as the topic.

Recursion_of_misplaced_values_by_philosomatographer.jpg

Technical: This was a difficult shot, hand-held Mamiya RB67 with Fuji Provia 100 film at night, 1/8s. I also had to focus in an instant, and slightly missed. Lens was 1980s Sekor C 65mm f/4.5 wide angle (the best lens I have ever used). Scanned to ~25mp with Epson V700.

Gary Ayala

Hi Dawid, to follow your thoughts. As a general rule, I too do not photograph the homeless. I do not have any hesitancy photographing those less fortunate than I because of personal embarrassment ... the, "they might see me", has no currency with me.

While I have a ton of street people images, I have deleted all my beggars and homeless. One day it occured to me that there are two sides to a coin and story. And, like yourself, that I was only picturing the homeless as I saw them, the poor juxtapositioned against a backdrop of wealth in SoCal. Not giving any images to how the homeless see the world ... how does it feel to be hungry while the restaurants dump the wastes of those less hungry into dumpsters, how does it feel to be idle while the world bustles around and over you, how does it feel to be cold while multi-storied condo windows blaze yellow at night.

So until the time when I can shot the homeless from an angle other than my own limited vision, I won't shoot them.

Gary

PS- That is just my own personal philosophy, others may do as they may.
G

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Dawid, to follow your thoughts. As a general rule, I too do not photograph the homeless. I do not have any hesitancy photographing those less fortunate than I because of personal embarrassment ... the, "they might see me", has no currency with me.
Gary,

We must document what "is" our world, not just the Vogue or Photoshop renderings of what's imagined. However, with that, we can't seem to help adding our own artistic needs. Yes, it's exploitive, but to a considerable extent, we are hunters and that's what we do, some with more aggression than others.

While I have a ton of street people images, I have deleted all my beggars and homeless.
I have kept mine and discovered some few are part of roaming european packs of fraudster actors! They are some of the most emotionally impressive. Amazing!

One day it occured to me that there are two sides to a coin and story. And, like yourself, that I was only picturing the homeless as I saw them, the poor juxtapositioned against a backdrop of wealth in SoCal.

There's an organization to look at the needs of the homeless, Picture The homeless. It's worth looking at!

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Dawid;
What I found most immediately striking about your image was not the the fellow sitting in front of the gallery. He's such a dark, low-contrast silhouette that I only secondarily looked at him. Rather, my immediate attention turned toward the steel bars mounted in front of the gallery and the peeling paint in the upper left corner. That, to me, presented a far, far more ironic and interesting story suggestion than the street fellow, who is almost visual noise in the image.

Gary Ayala

"Gary,

We must document what "is" our world, not just the Vogue or Photoshop renderings of what's imagined. However, with that, we can't seem to help adding our own artistic needs. Yes, it's exploitive, but to a considerable extent, we are hunters and that's what we do, some with more aggression than others."

Asher, while yes we must document for historic value and illuminate the evil and the good of this world, but exploitation falls in the realm of marketing not journalism, with little or no historic currency.

Gary

Asher Kelman

Asher Kelman said:
Gary,

We must document what "is" our world, not just the Vogue or Photoshop renderings of what's imagined. However, with that, we can't seem to help adding our own artistic needs. Yes, it's exploitive, but to a considerable extent, we are hunters and that's what we do, some with more aggression than others.

Asher, while yes we must document for historic value and illuminate the evil and the good of this world, but exploitation falls in the realm of marketing not journalism, with little or no historic currency.

Gary
Gary,

I just want to get out front and admit or baser motivations ahead of the nobler assertions. Yes we should try not to exploit, but we still do. One could argue against all street photography, (folk chatting, walking by, a quiet smoke or a conversation that we record), often being exploitative. I would rather admit that. Otherwise we wrap ourselves in white claiming we are really fine just because the photograph can be acclaimed.

Asher

ooieksa

Great information! But please tell me if this option is available from every location? Where should I go to for rechecking these details? I do not feel safe about disclosing my residential address. There are many fraudsters who could then state this address as a billing address for many illegal operations. It would be great to read feedback from those who participated in this offer. But where to look for them?

Asher Kelman

This is a thread worth reviving. The person ahead of me today is a spammer from the es Soviet world, unfortunately. I thank Nicolas Claris for safeguarding is and putting a line through his registration!