• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: A series.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Everyone has different explanations etc,. All I know is this is the one that I like the most.. it really has a feeling of here today, gone tomorrow. And it is pretty, to me!

Maggie,

I think you've hit the nail on the head! Jerome observes and records the temporary marks man makes on the universe and he pulls us all down to size in the process!

It's also like following a rigorous mathematical proof. All his methods support the same overriding truths.

Everything is ultimately just a temporary situation. We are not, for the most part, really that important!

We should therefore be nice to everyone we meet and as a basis for this, be much nicer to ourselves too!

Asher

James Lemon

I am not sure how you arrive at that conclusion, but yes, I usually try to be nice to people I meet.

("Günstig Tanken" = "Low priced petrol")

Buying gas here in Canada is a bit like buying hay. You can spend a little extra for some good clean, dry hay or you can buy the stuff that comes right out of the cow.

Jerome Marot

Buying gas here in Canada is a bit like buying hay. You can spend a little extra for some good clean, dry hay or you can buy the stuff that comes right out of the cow.

Well, I never used that particular station and now it is closed, so I don't know the quality of their products. This being said, I never noticed any difference between the cheapest and the more expensive petrol either. But then, I've never been to Canada.

James Lemon

Well, I never used that particular station and now it is closed, so I don't know the quality of their products. This being said, I never noticed any difference between the cheapest and the more expensive petrol either. But then, I've never been to Canada.

It is difficult to determine the nature of this abandoned facility but I suspect it is near the gas station picture you posted earlier and they are both part of the same business. Maybe this was a distribution centre or manufacturing of lubricants and oil.

Jerome Marot

It is difficult to determine the nature of this abandoned facility but I suspect it is near the gas station picture you posted earlier and they are both part of the same business. Maybe this was a distribution centre or manufacturing of lubricants and oil.

That facility was a supermarket, probably what you would call a mall. There is no real equivalent in North America, I think. The petrol station was near to it, but not really the same business. More of the same:

James Lemon

That facility was a supermarket, probably what you would call a mall. There is no real equivalent in North America, I think. The petrol station was near to it, but not really the same business. More of the same:

We think of supermarkets of being a place to purchase groceries, meat, vegetables, mostly eatable types of things. We also have strip malls that consist of individual stores connected to each other but you have to walk outside to go from one location to another. Super stores, such as Walmart, Home - depot, Costco ect, all individual stores but contained in vast a general area located next to large residential districts made up of cookie cutter type houses,are another type .We also have massive indoor types of malls West Edmonton Mall located in Edmonton Alberta Canada has a skating rink, indoor shooting range, children's theme parks and a huge host of stores, restaurants, theaters and anything else imaginable. West Edmonton mall is the largest one that I have ever been in but I don't recall seeing any abandoned malls in my travels.

Last edited:

Jerome Marot

We think of supermarkets of being a place to purchase groceries, meat, vegetables, mostly eatable types of things. We also have strip malls that consist of individual stores connected to each other but you have to walk outside to go from one location to another. Super stores, such as Walmart, Home - depot, Costco ect, all individual stores but contained in vast a general area located next to large residential districts made up of cookie cutter type houses,are another type .We also have massive indoor types of malls West Edmonton Mall located in Edmonton Alberta Canada has a skating rink, indoor shooting range, children's theme parks and a huge host of stores, restaurants, theaters and anything else imaginable. West Edmonton mall is the largest one that I have ever been in but I don't recall seeing any abandoned malls in my travels.

We have mostly "super stores" and, more recently, "indoor malls" in Europe and I never seen strip malls. Of course, we also have shopping streets in the historical center of most European cities.

Michael Nagel

(In this one, I still wonder why the lights are on.)
There are potentially safety/security reasons - depending on the place within building and the purpose of it - making that these lights must stay on permanently.
Usually these lights don't have a switch or a separate fuse which could serve as such. Maybe these are connected with other circuits that must stay on as long as the building is not yet demolished. I don't know the details, I just see this practice at my workplace.

Best regards,
Michael

Jerome Marot

Kool !!! Do you know why this place closed its doors?

A new shopping center has been constructed and this one is torn down to be replaced by housing. That is the part of the story concerning the super store area. While all the pictures were taken within walking distance, the area is wider than the shopping center.

But, as I already said, nobody was there to answer my questions, so I had to find a way in and a way out on my own.

James Lemon

A new shopping center has been constructed and this one is torn down to be replaced by housing. That is the part of the story concerning the super store area. While all the pictures were taken within walking distance, the area is wider than the shopping center.

But, as I already said, nobody was there to answer my questions, so I had to find a way in and a way out on my own.

Picture Nr. 24.

Is there a picture 25 or did you get arrested for trespassing?

Jerome Marot

Is there a picture 25 or did you get arrested for trespassing?

Andy already asked for the number of pictures in the series and it is larger than 25. Also: under local laws, if the doors aren't locked, it is not trespassing.

(And I was nowhere to be seen.)

James Lemon

Andy already asked for the number of pictures in the series and it is larger than 25. Also: under local laws, if the doors aren't locked, it is not trespassing.

(And I was nowhere to be seen.)

Just checking to make sure. Yes you did well.. I don't see a photographer in the picture.