• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!
Immersing myself back into Alternative processes, mainly cyanotype, both traditional and quite non-conventional, Salted Paper and Kallitypes with some interesting chemical additives.

This first image was quite challenging in that about half-way through the Cyanotype exposure, I realized I used a negative curved for a Kallitype. Ooops.

Last Apple Standing - Split-toned Cyanotype
This is a split toned image but done differently. For this one, I over-exposed the print by a full stop, rinsed it for a minute in distilled water with a tablespoon of citric acid. I rinsed one more time for two minutes and then poured a solution of distilled water with one tablespoon of Sodium Carbonate to 400ml over the print, watering hose held in one hand and immediately poured out the sodium bath as I washed vigorously to stop the bleaching effect. I washed for 10 minutes then immersed the print in a green tea toner (six bags to 400ml boiling distilled water) that I let stand until nearly room temperature for 10 minutes. I washed for 20 minutes then lastly, I gave it a dose of peroxide just to see what it would look like dried down.
This apple tree bore the last piece of unpicked fruit from a grove in Ellijay, GA. It looked so lonely.

Last Apple Standing

last apple standing-3 sml.jpg

The second image is just a guy riding down the highway, I guess intrigued by the photographer panning him as he flew on by. To me, he somewhat resembled a younger Mick Jagger. This image too got a split toning, only I was less aggressive with the sodium carbonate bath, though more aggressive with a full immersion in ammonia and 20 minute wash. Both prints were fixed with Sodium Thiosulphate prior to the final wash though the toning was done prior to being fixed.

Mick

newest mick.jpg

This next one I had a lot of fun with, just experimenting with loosely applied cyanotype solution, toned with black tea and instant coffee.

The Jazz Singer

jazz singer toned.jpg

And this last image, for tonight is a heavily green tea toned Cyanotype which has been selectively bleached pre and post toning and an addition of Turmeric for the yellow eye.

Owling at the Moon

owl 2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is a fabulous report with great images.

Tell me are you working of a book recipe or you know enough to get it done, and just experiment on the way.

How large are the prints and do you sell them locally or online?

Asher

Right now I am working in standard sizes from 4x5 to 13x19 because that's as large a negative I can make. Most of what I presented last night as well as these new ones are 8x10 printed on Hahnemuhle Platinum Rag or Arches Platine. As to recipes....ummmmmmm, loosely following Christine Anderson, Peter Mahyr and a lot of personal guidance from Dana at Bostick & Sullivan. YouTube has been a real nice place to go to and in 2008-09, I took workshops in Santa Fe with Christopher James who is one of the Guru's of Alt Pro. As to selling, I don't think I'm at that place where my work is ready to display for others. Give me until after Christmas, then I'll be ready to rock and roll. I've attached several more, a few which fall into the non-negative application using only botanicals. At first, I got a bit carried away with the glitz and glamour of these processes, but of late have dumped the whacky stuff and going more toward simple is good. For the botanicals, I pretty much follow the recipes of Annette Golaz, now. Later, I will be going off the reservation, again. These are just to show the progression of my processes for one project, an abandon truck originally shot in IR (Nano 720). This series was printed on Arches Platine, 300 GSM

To follow in separate posts, the progressions of other images and some of the more (silly) outrageous botanicals.

Standard Cyanotype

new truck.jpg

Cyanotype Toned in Green Tea for 22 minutes (Unbleached)

abandoned.jpg

Kallitype (bleached in a weak solution of Sodium Borate (1 gr: 500 ml water at a Ph of 7, then toned with Tannic Acid, then re-toned with a weakened solution of Green Tea) Final Print

newest truck.jpg

Last edited: