• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Advances in covid-19 treatments.

Jerome Marot

There are various reports that hospitals have considerably improved their knowledge about covid-19 treatments, thereby reducing fatalities. For example:

This alone could explain why the present "second wave" is, apparently, less lethal than the first one.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
There are various reports that hospitals have considerably improved their knowledge about covid-19 treatments, thereby reducing fatalities. For example:

This alone could explain why the present "second wave" is, apparently, less lethal than the first one.
Very good report!

At first, the doctors were working in overcrowded facilities, lacking supplies sleep and with little experience in the skill to know just when to intubate, what pressures were safe and what complications to watch out for.

Now doctors can pace themselves, get more rest, they know what to check for and theY can request a drug and the nurse is ready , and puts it in their hands. Everyone can read the others mind as team work is possible when you share knowledge and know what to expect.

Then add steroids and the death rate plummets!

Asher

Jerome Marot

Not only that, but there were lots of conflicting theories as to what treatments could be beneficial (hydroxychloroquine comes to mind...).

I'm not at all surprised that after the huge effort that's gone into investigating Covid 19 that treatments have improved significantly from when it was a complete unknown.
Even with reduced death rates the second wave could still match the first, pretty much as predicted here https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom?view=total-deaths&tab=trend

From what I've read the second wave of 'Spanish flu' was a much bigger killer than the first wave.

I only hope that more people will be willing to put up with minor inconveniences to reduce the issue. It's all to common to have people barge past to reach items when out shopping... Medical staff have been doing a fantastic job & it's up to the rest of us to support them as far as practical.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I appreciate your Public spirit.

Here, Trumps “grab pussy as you wish” attitude, translates to a selfish “me first” caveman attitude.

It makes civil conservatives shudder!

Respect for others, or “Love your neighbor as yourself is a sufficient and superior guide!

Of course I’d love to be able to do as I please, but it’s great to know that others around are watching out for us too,
.....not just the amazingly brave park rangers rescuing folk from crocodiles when they foolishly try to get across the river in Australia’s Northern Territory in the dry season.

Isn’t that similar to not wearing masks! Why ignore good advice?

Asher

Jerome Marot

From what I've read the second wave of 'Spanish flu' was a much bigger killer than the first wave.

We cannot really compare the two epidemics. First, the Spanish flu happened during first world war and the number of casualties depended on the war effort, which increased during the second period. Second, what killed most people during the Spanish flu was their overeacting own immune system. This is the reason why it predominantly killed young adults. Third, the flu is seasonal, while covid-19 does not appear to be influenced as much by UV or temperature. While covid-19 has some of these effects, there is no reason why it would behave exactly in the same way.