• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Aha! One can in fact in replying to a post put text ahead of the quoted stuff

Doug Kerr

I had complained to der vorsitzende that, in this "new" forum software, one cannot, in replying to a post (such that the post replied to is prepopulated into the composition screen). in any direct way put text ahead of the quoted matter, as for example to open one's reply with "Hi, Joanne" just before the picture posted by Joanne.

It turns out that I was in error. This can actually very easily be done. Here is the maneuver (for Windows browsers; Mac users will have to figger the equivalent).

• Click on "reply" with the post being replied to in effect. A composition window will open, pre-populated with the content of that subject post.

• Press Ctrl+Home. This will move the insertion point (cursor) to the very beginning of the nascent reply post, perhaps at the beginning of the "frame" of the photo in the subject post.

• Press Enter twice. This will make two blank lines at the head of the reply post.

• Press the cursor UP arrow. This will move the insertion point (cursor) to the beginning of the first blank line.

• Enter your introduction (e.g., 'Hi, Joanne').

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jérôme,

You can also press the square quotes [] at the top right of the message and edit in bbcode mode.

A useful reminder - I had forgotten abut that.

But that still leaves the question of, when "replying", how can we start inserting at the very beginning?

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

I note that sometimes if we use Ctrl+Home, the cursor appears at the beginning of the quoted material (after the identification of the poster), but then Enter still makes a blank line ahead of all the quoted material and leaves the cursor there.

And further to that, we can actually (with the mouse) put the cursor at the very beginning of the quoted material (after the introduction of the poster, the earliest place we can put it with the mouse) and then use Enter to create a blank line at the very beginning of our nascent reply post.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jérôme,

Yes, I see now that we can do that easily in BBCode edit mode, even if the post being replied to "starts" with an image.

Thanks.

Doug

Last edited: