• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Alley and the "trompe l'oeil"

Cem_Usakligil

Here is a run down alley overlooking a wall with a very primitive trompe l'oeil and a poem written on it.

Alley:
alley.jpg

Cheers,

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

Nice texture and colours, a good atmosphere.
But, for me, characters seem more important that trompe-l'oeil wich is not very present.
Hi Cedric,

Thanks a lot for your kind comments. I'd actually given up hope that anyone would ever bother reacting to this one ;-).

The trompe-l'oeil is indeed rather absent and it wasn't my main subject anyway. I agree with you that the characters add value to this picture.

Cheers,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I Cem

I'm not sure to agree about the characters…

I like the trompe l'œil, I also like the color composition: blue/reds darks/clear…

I had like to see that same picture but with no one there, as a nature morte…

Well, a "trompe l'œil" as a "nature morte" kinda french cliché ;-)?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Cem,

I like it very much. Still I wonder how it would be if the wall was blurred with a large margin of feather. We do not see that perfectly to the side and the distance. Just experiment and then blend a blurred area for the proximal side walls and ground, in a gradient so that it all becomes very sharp before the "Trompe", just after the door on the left!

This should make the image more dramatic. Sharp bricks mean that they are important. However, they are not!

Great shot!

Asher!

nicolas claris

I don't agree with Asher!

The sharpness of the bricks does create lines that built the perspective and draw the eye rigth into the trompe l'œil!

Keep it sharp!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Those lines will still be there! We are not talking about blurring them away, just adding some softness and also not sharpening!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

I Cem

I'm not sure to agree about the characters…

I like the trompe l'œil, I also like the color composition: blue/reds darks/clear…

I had like to see that same picture but with no one there, as a nature morte…

Well, a "trompe l'œil" as a "nature morte" kinda french cliché ;-)?
Thanks Nicolas,

I'll soon let you see a version without the people, I have to find and upload it first ;-).

Then you can decide. But I like this version better since the man looks right into the lens at this instance. It is difficult to see this small, maybe I'll do a crop as well,

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

I don't agree with Asher!

The sharpness of the bricks does create lines that built the perspective and draw the eye rigth into the trompe l'œil!

Keep it sharp!
The sharpness was all intentional as I saw this as an urban landscape picture. The sharpness and the details in the stones and the ground makes the image very 3-D like, especially on print. But I'll make a blurred version in PS for Asher and then we can compare :).

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Thanks Nicolas,

I'll soon let you see a version without the people, I have to find and upload it first ;-).

Then you can decide. But I like this version better since the man looks right into the lens at this instance. It is difficult to see this small, maybe I'll do a crop as well,

Cheers,
And here is the version without people:

alley2.jpg

nicolas claris

Wel, hard to say which one I prefer, maybe he one without the 2 persons, the glance of the man seems funny but a bit anectodic…
The real thing is the contrats between colors and light well married by the perspective.
Speaking of contrast, could you post side by side the 2 but witht he same PP (contrast)?

That would help and make choice easier…

Thanks for sharing and showing