• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Along for the Ride (an advanturous cranefly)

Hello,

Taken in available light, it's fun to ponder that this little guy has the same attitude as a surfer dude or a snowboarder, just waiting for a human to open the gate and give him is thrill?

Along_for_the_ride_by_philosomatographer.jpg

(Through Canon's 100mm Macro USM, still the sharpest lens they make! :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Since I don't know this fly and it is interesting to look at with it proboscis ready to suck up stuff? what does it do, who eats it and when does it appear?

Next, do you have more?

Have you tried taking the picture from the level of the insect?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Since I don't know this fly and it is interesting to look at with it proboscis ready to suck up stuff? what does it do, who eats it and when does it appear?

Next, do you have more?

Have you tried taking the picture from the level of the insect?

Asher

I'm afraid I don't know much about it either - I'm no expert. I only took one image of this little fly (which I presume to be so, based on the fact that it only has two wings, and that it looked like it had halteres.)

I am sure that I photographed a similar one a year or two ago (though I remember it to be a fairly poor photo, but more "scientific" than this one.) Let me go and dig it out...

Ah, found it. This was about 16 months ago, but the same species of insect. Again, around the December month (summer here in South Africa).

Cranefly_Study_by_philosomatographer.jpg

Asher Kelman

I like the second picture more. I guess becasue it is totally nature!

This is a most beautiful creature. What lens did you use? I'm impressed. Do they just sit there?

Asher

I think it all depends on the intent - the second picture is more "look, yet another fly Macro shot" whereas the first one adds an interesting perspective and environment, but that's just my view.

I took the second image with a EOS 350D, and the same lens (Canon 100mm Macro USM) - first one is with 1D MkIIN. The creatures are fairly jittery, and you can't come really close with ease. I think if I had less working distance than what the 100mm offered, it would have flown away. I had to approach it really slowly - the first attempt had it dart away to another branch, but I found it again - and got the shot.

The second image is at max magnification (1:1, so it's 1.6:1 on the 350D) whereas the first one is obviously less to let more of the scene in.

Thank you for your comments Asher :)

Marian Howell

hi dawid!
i enjoy the first shot more, for similar reasons as you, say the second one is more typical. the first one is enhanced by the intimate warmth of the light and the wood, as well as the angle on the fly. while the shot may is taken from a more normal viewing perspective, the version of the fly is candid in comparison to the second shot which seems more posed. the quality of the light in the first one can't be beat, the second one so bland in contrast to it. i am an advocate of available light too, so i might be biased :))
good job hand holding on both of them!

Tim Armes

Hello,

I too prefer the first picture. When I saw it my first reaction was to think "what a refreshing different macro photo of a fly". I like the composition.

I also have to disagree with Asher on the beauty of the insect - I can't help but find it ugly - interesting, but ugly.

Tim

Ah, how beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. I'm not quite sure wether I also consider it "beautiful", but I believe there are many kinds of beauty. A creature like this is a marvel of miniature engineering, the likes of which we will not achieve for a very, very long time to come...