• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

An Afternoon in a Cypress Stand

Chris Calohan

This is an area called the Dead Lakes which is filled with areas of old Cypress trees and knees. I did some "creative" editing to showcase the Cypress away from the surrounding hardwoods.

tree-1a-2.jpg

tree-3-1.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Stunning photography, exhibition worthy without a doubt!

......from the shore or a boat?

What is a “knee” in this context?
Is the floddi year-round or seasonal?

What about wildlife?

Asher

Chris Calohan

A Cypress knee is the last part of the root before it dissolves into the tannin rich water. This was from a bridge over the Chipola River in Wewahitchka, FL. Cypress, as a rule don't lose their foliage in the winter months. While they don't look like it, these trees are over a 50 years old which is young compared to some others I've seen up on my lake which are over a 100 ft tall and over 200 years old.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A Cypress knee is the last part of the root before it dissolves into the tannin rich water. This was from a bridge over the Chipola River in Wewahitchka, FL. Cypress, as a rule don't lose their foliage in the winter months. While they don't look like it, these trees are over a 50 years old which is young compared to some others I've seen up on my lake which are over a 100 ft tall and over 200 years old.
I learned something today: Cypress Tree Knees. A lot to learn here!