• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

An Oracle's Moment

AnOraclesMoment.jpg

This is a picture of Charlotte Thompson taken with consent. Asher

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlotte Thompson

Blackford

Love this! nice candid capture
she looks as though she is blessing you as you are passing by-
love your black and white identity!

Charlotte-

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Nope!

This is - to me - a street shot that the subject didn't want her photo taken. For me, this would have been deleted based on that one thing.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Missed it!

Thanks for Nicolas pointing out that the subject is Charlotte. Well, my new motto should have read don't post before daily allotment of coffee. Still, there is no critic of an image better than one of the subject.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi William,

Taking a picture with the idea in mind can be part of an arc of creative work. One does not need to be limited by what was there. Rather the image the camera records is a potential picture and up to you to interpret and extend.

So taking your idea, this is how I imagined one might work this to the nth

AnOraclesMoment_AK.jpg

© William Blackford Photo "An Oracle's Moment" edited by ADK

Asher

I'm either completely lost or just missing something. I assume from what I am reading that the photo is of Charlotte? How in the world, from what was posted initially, is someone to know that?
James

Thanks for pointing that out! I've added a note to clarify the first post!

Ms. Rappaport,

Thank you for your enthusiam! Charlotte and I are were pleased to see that her posing, however interpreted, would be seen at a certain level of authenticity. Your reaction verifies our attempt. I am confused that you thought this a street photo, especially considering the blinds behind the subject which indicate indoors. Perhaps your uproar to delete injustice blinded you concerning the blinds? Again thank you and we look forward to seeing you in further posts.

-William Blackford

Asher:

The dynamic theme of oracle was indeed, only partially dealt with as the photo was taken on the fly. Thus perhaps my title choice was a poor one. The effects you impletemented certainly drive the idea to its completeness. I do have little or no photoshop skills but nonetheless my apologies for the incompletion. Lesson learned.

-William Blackford

John Angulat

pro member
I'm with James....

...equally confused.
icon5.gif

William posts an image of Charlotte.
Asher has to identify her.
Charlotte critiques the image in the 3rd party, referring to herself as "she".
What am I missing here?

Asher Kelman

...equally confused.
icon5.gif

William posts an image of Charlotte.
Asher has to identify her.
Charlotte critiques the image in the 3rd party, referring to herself as "she".
What am I missing here?
Precisely, John,

Everyone here is true to character. Charlotte is able, without dying, to look at herself as if she's a 3rd person being observed by her own disembodied spirit. If you follow her earliest work you might better understand that her remarks are often cryptic, strangely titled and the subjects has sometimes a gap between the title and what we see. However, Charlotte does have her own voice and every so often we see work that moves us.

I'm true to my character, usurping the right to bring William Blackford's picture to the end of it's intended path.

You are true to character too, holding us accountable by saying , "Hey guys, this is all $%#&ed up!"

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I'm either completely lost or just missing something. I assume from what I am reading that the photo is of Charlotte? How in the world, from what was posted initially, is someone to know that?
James

Thanks for pointing that out! I've added a note to clarify the first post!

tss tss James… as moderators we've got to know a lot ;-)

"I see!" said the blind man. The fog has now lifted and I am relieved knowing I had not gone completely batty. Loking at the hoody, I at first thought she was flashing gang signs. I do like the idea.
James

John Angulat

pro member
I'm still confused.
I guess...something else to blame on the '60's/70's and too much Twelve Dreams of Doctor Sardonicus.

Thanks a lot Charlotte, you just bought my therapist's son a new car....

Asher Kelman

Now that everyone is orientated, medicated or worn out, please look at the pictures and give your feedback!

I'll start,

William,

Did you intend to ambush us and set us up to make the wrong conclusion. Did you and Charlotte accidentally not give all info or was this planned?

In any case the photograph has an interesting potential. In order to make the dark hooded appearance work, one must support that idea by having attention driven to the face and limited by the cloak. So the background really needs to be dark. Without composing a new scene, the simplest way to complete the image is to select the bright background with the magic wand in with the shift button pressed and in 30 seconds the background can be (Edit, fill, black) made black.

So that's my starting contribution. My version above just takes this much further down the road of the occult and macabre.

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Now that everyone is orientated, medicated or worn out, please look at the pictures and give your feedback! Asher

Ahhhh....better living through chemicals.
With a less disoriented POV and a calmer persona, here goes...

I noted the same as Asher in that the background was problematic. I'm not sure if taking the b/g to black is the answer though. If taken to black, what will provide the visual separation with the black hood? Won't everything be lost except for Charlotte's face?
If possible, is there a way to do that and highlight the edges of the hooded subject? Maybe create another layer, find edges and reduce the opacity so just the barest of highlighting remains?

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Ms. Rappaport,

Thank you for your enthusiam! Charlotte and I are were pleased to see that her posing, however interpreted, would be seen at a certain level of authenticity. Your reaction verifies our attempt. I am confused that you thought this a street photo, especially considering the blinds behind the subject which indicate indoors. Perhaps your uproar to delete injustice blinded you concerning the blinds? Again thank you and we look forward to seeing you in further posts.

-William Blackford

What the hell's up with this place?

Charlotte Thompson

Hey Hi!

this seems to me to be beyond an excellent photographer taking a candid and posting!

"Just me walking by" was cold in Texas"

Asher-

OMG I so love what you did*
I couldn't even think of such a thing-look at all-
2222283535699957345776575742222]]]77744433

Jesus-

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

Hi William,

Taking a picture with the idea in mind can be part of an arc of creative work. One does not need to be limited by what was there. Rather the image the camera records is a potential picture and up to you to interpret and extend.

AnOraclesMoment_AK.jpg

© William Blackford Photo "An Oracle's Moment" edited by ADK

So no one likes my versioning! Why? Poor composition, Too arts fartsy, pretentious, boring, misses the point. Feel free to give feedback! :)

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

I really really like your idea with the photo
it gives a deeper dimension of "oracle" it is absolutely stunning!
I thinkk the creative idea you saw with the original interpetation gave it a most alluring appeal*'you gave a light and dark feel and love the slight sepia-and blur movement to hand and face
kudos my friend-

Charlotte-

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Nicolas,

I think Ken Tanaka summed it up best in his recent post to this thread:

"What the hell's up with this place?"

This thread is getting more bizarre each day.
I'm convinced hallucinogenics are involved.

Charlotte Thompson

Nicolas and John

LOL it just means "I can't really find an English translation for the art that Asher entered into the picture-
why are you guys so serious!
life and art must be at times meant for fun- and interpersonal - relax*
at times words aren't enough and sometimes it equals 2573645%%%%-
maybe it is the writer part of me but it is a definite part-

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

Charlotte,

Yes, I agree, we need to be lighthearted. I too get confused by your poetics but I understood them here. I also can appreciate that the way you present things can be considered bizarre, but so be it.

John,

When I saw numbers I looked at that as an abstraction of a sentence and understood it mean "I can't put this into words". I'm easygoing on other people's way of writing. A friend of my son, who's a remarkable film editor, cannot write two sentences! However, I understand his work!

You, by contrast, have a very well organized way of working, your website shows that. Still, you also depart from what you are certain of and experiment. This is shown by your recent water color effect which you generously shared and your sensitive picture of a homeless man which moved us all.

Each person brings something very different.

Asher