• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

And the police rang my door bell!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
...to ask me if I have allowed this homeless man to set up on my porch.

I at first wouldn’t come to the door as I thought it was some prankster!

After they persisted I warily opened the door to see a poor fellow asking with his eyes to stay!

When I turned him down, they told him to collect his stuff and leave.

Sad it was a damned good place to find. Am I a tad guilty?

Yes, but I rationalize that we need a democratic victory in the next election!

Asher

Peter Dexter

I imagine you must live in an up scale part of town where the police take pains to protect residents from any and all undesirables from robbers to homeless folk. Did you turn him in or were the police just walking by and spotted him on your porch? None of the homeless in my neck of the woods have a nice suitcase like that. This man in Cali has to wear both of his pants as he has no place to leave his clothes:

19961475123_dccb83839c_b.jpg

Tom dinning

Registrant*
It’s a better class of home in LA so there’s a better class of homelessness.
im being sarcastic of course but homelessness comes about from may different circumstances.
Possessions don’t pay rent or buy food. I once spoke to a woman who was ‘living’ in a Mercedes 600 SL. It was immaculately kept. She had been living in it for eight months. She couldn’t afford fuel and had to be parked off the street because it was unregistered. She ate scraps from the market bins and stole clothes from clothes lines. It’s called Snow Dropping in the UK.
Her starry was long and complicated but it gave me some empathy for her circumstances. How close we all can be from losing everything we have and our dignity and sanity as well.
perhaps there might have been something you could offer him, Ash. Some food?, fare for a bus ticket, directions to a charity, even ask his name.

keep in mind where you have been and where you might be going.

qould your reaction be different if it were a pretty young girl?

Asher Kelman

I imagine you must live in an up scale part of town where the police take pains to protect residents from any and all undesirables from robbers to homeless folk. Did you turn him in or were the police just walking by and spotted him on your porch? None of the homeless in my neck of the woods have a nice suitcase like that. This man in Cali has to wear both of his pants as he has no place to leave his clothes:

Peter,

Looks really forlorn! Your guy seems far worse hit by circumstances!

My visitor? No I didn’t turn him in. Frankly I didn’t believe it was police at the door!

But when I came out they asked if I had authorized him to set up in my porch!

They had noticed him and that was that!

Asher

Asher Kelman

It’s a better class of home in LA so there’s a better class of homelessness.
im being sarcastic of course but homelessness comes about from may different circumstances.......

We have the full range from recently homeless to men and women with seizures and body sores!

How close we all can be from losing everything we have and our dignity and sanity as well.
Our approach is to increase public services and also change the government and rid ourselves of the delusion of “Trickle Down Economics” with out selfish and divisive President.

perhaps there might have been something you could offer him, Ash. Some food?, fare for a bus ticket, directions to a charity, even ask his name.

Asking his name and not helping us a slap in the face too!

The policy here is to give to Centers where the money can be leveraged for optimal benefit to the needy. If you gave from your address directly, then there would be a line of folk from early in the morning robbery disappointed.

keep in mind where you have been and where you might be going.
Always!

could your reaction be different if it were a pretty young girl?
Fora vulnerable young woman, I would have to ask, but I would imagine that the female police officer would get her to some service specializing in children at risk. I need to find out. But certainlyvit would be very sad and shocking.

Good points!

I hope I addressed them adequately enough given that it’s hardly possible!!

Asher[/QUOTE]

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I’m not questioning your ethics, Ash. Just asking.

personally, I quite like the idea of Trickle Up anything.
imagine if everyone who doesn’t vote for Trump decided to ignore policy and set their own agenda.
Go out and feed the people on the street. Give them your old clothes. Have them model for you.
They’re not all men you know. They might not be aesthetically pleasing with their “seizures and nobody sores”
Provide some medical assistance. Use your imagination.
if you started others from your friend circle might follow.
That way you might not feel so guilty and you’re not waiting for a change in government.

Asher Kelman

Fortunately, Tom, we live in California where a lot of resources are being poured into grappling with the problems.

My approach is to donate to the charities directly. But I will also give to the poor on the street when it can be anonymous.

I do stop to give Medical help routinely. But only for legal emergencies as I am retired and no longer have even a prescription pad! One either takes full responsibility with an active license or when retired, just can give information when requested.

For young women there are special locations catering for their protection, education, welfare and health needs. We don’t want anyone taking these youngsters home as models!

Here we don’t wait for the Federal Government.

But the growth in the population of dispossessed has been staggering. The City of Los Angeles has massive new Programs for building housing. Many cities don't want those needing accommodation to end up in their neighborhood.

We are a booming economy but the money DOESNT trickle down enough!

But we ARE on the move in every city to address this terrible slur on the term “Civilization”!

Asher

Robert Watcher

some here may enjoy the street work of Suzanne Stein. I have followed her work on Instagram for several years. For any who are wanting to portray the real human predicaments in the inner cities (I think that is what they call then - I’m from rural Canada so have no idea) with their cameras, you may pick up some nice pointers from her work. Especially related to her compassion and the connections she makes with those whom she photographs. Her images grab your attention. She is a story teller. You may not agree with or like her content, but she has a ”real touch”.

https://instagram.com/suzanne_stein?igshid=ek9znuggu2qn

———-

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Robert,

I admire her energy and encyclopedic “coverage” of the homeless denizens as individuals with some apparent distinguishing identity. But with so many, it becomes a numbers game of trophies tgay show her success and with the close wide angle views, their wretchedness!

I would have preferred in depth photo-essays of fewer people and perhaps she is know for they too.

There is a mountain of hercwork to go through yet!

Thanks for the excellent link!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Robert,

I admire her energy and encyclopedic “coverage” of the homeless denizens as individuals with some apparent distinguishing identity. But with so many, it becomes a numbers game of trophies tgay show her success and with the close wide angle views, their wretchedness!

I would have preferred in depth photo-essays of fewer people and perhaps she is know for they too.

There is a mountain of hercwork to go through yet!

Thanks for the excellent link!

Asher

if you require words or in-depth essays, follow her links such as - https://www.suzannesteinphoto.com/Lullaby-/

————-

Asher Kelman

A lot to study. I must read her words too, but photoessays do give tgevphotogrqoher a real opportunity to allow us to glimpse at the real person, or at least approach closer.

Thanks,

Asher