• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have to start over!

We love fish!

I am in Cabo, Mexico and my family went out fishing for 5 hours and caught nothing.

My middle son had his novel and relaxed in the spa. He had had vowed never to enter another fishing boat in Cabo as he has never caught fish here.

In Florida, when the boys were young, we went out into Tampa Bay in a 24 ft Chris Craft motor yacht. It has twin Chrysler engines and could tackle 4ft waves. Made a deafening battering sound with each new wave, but it always got us home safely. We never had to search for fish. Arty, my father in law knew the waters. We trolled with “Chum” or used 6” live shrimp as bait!

The fishes simply loved our hooks and we pulled in a huge harvest every time within 2 hours, storage bins filled to the brim!

The only hardship was stunning a 5 ft shark and getting it over board safely!

Pelicans knew our boat and the sky was full of them, sweeping up the scraps thrown to the water from the fish cutting block on the deck!

That was a time of plenty!

So what catches have you had? Please give us your reports!

Asher

BTW,

The Chinese have 2700 mega trawlers
This video here is worth a look!

Peter Dexter

When I went up the Amazon to Puerto Nariño with Doña Betty and Don Braga in their small outboard we passed may areas along the river where fish were jumping out of the river and constantly landing in the boat. Instead of bailing water I had to bail fish.

31823669374_4003879194_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

Some jump after insects!

Jumping salmon are a great catch for bears!

As to abundance, big riverways in Europe are mostly dependent on mans replenishment from fish farms, because industries upstream have damaged the natural ecosystems. So, for the past 50 years, generally, only a few species survive.

Those folk who fish as a pastimes, often have no idea of the abundance missing!.

Trout in the USA is sourced that way.

As to the Amazon, bravo to that great river! This is a wonder of the world. I would love to take a journey with my grandchildren along its length with a guide in a wooden boat!

Just don’t let them ruin that too!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Now this is a happy picture! How many on the boat! Fabulous face! Do you have any idea what people she belongs too!

So how large was this boat?

Was this just a “ferry crossing” or a Journey?

I would hope one day to find places not overwhelmed by colonist genetics! Are there any that still have both native customs and religion or are all “converted”?

Asher

Peter Dexter

These are local Indians I don't remember which group as there are several in that area of the Amazon. There were four of us in the boat. It was small and we barely fit. It was a journey on the river of about six hours. They pretty much maintain their customs, social structure and religion at least to some extent as far as I could tell.

Asher Kelman

Let’s go to Maine, on the East Coast of the USA!

These are now the boats that dominate the waters around the islands off the Maine’s coast!

Decades ago, folk here remember, such varied fish were abundant! Trawlers came in like moths to a bright light. And they were very successful and left filled to the brim with the richest catches! It was like “manna from heaven”, a never-ending supply of fish. But then tragedy struck and the fish populations collapsed entirely never to recover to their glory!

At the heyday of the fishery boom, there was scant remaining food for the lobsters on the sea floor. They easily survived, but population rise was kept in check by lack of ready food!

Then when fishing above them, collapsed, what then for the lobsters owning the ocean floor? Food drifted downwards and the lobsters grew big and set up safe spawning grounds and nurseries and built a thriving lobster universe in the past several decades!

The result on the islanders?

Their communities are thriving. Villagers work together to rebuild the church themselves. Everybody helps!

Lobster fishermen are in heaven! The lobsters are monitored for size and migration patterns and females with eggs protected in the nurseries. Only the largest are taken and the families with licenses as lobster fishermen are thriving!

To visitors, the islands are idyllic places to escape to for a vacation. For the residents, what was a threadbare existence competing with industrial trawlers, now is a highly predictable way of life, as sole guardians of some of the healthiest best fed lobsters on the planet, exported live, by air everywhere in the USA!

But the fish ecology has no signs of healing! That is the big puzzle! I would love to know what is the missing attraction that keeps them from starting over? Do they possibly have a group memory?

Asher

Last edited:

DavidHookes

I love fishing too. I am from Bangladesh. Here we have big ponds and we like to fishing there, sometimes with family. while the rainy season is over the pond water dries up and fishing become easier for us. if the water level is very high the fishing game will be difficult. sometime, I would like to share some photos of our fishing activities here. As I am a new member, I would like to contribute in the forum too.

Asher Kelman

These are from Julianne Thoms ans demonstrates the use of the iPhone App “Snapseed, which innits basic form with ADS is free.

Julianne Thoms: Coy
Out of camera

I downloaded it and with Snapseed, brightened it, increases contrast and adjusted “Ambience”

Julianne Thoms: Coy
Snapseed

Thanks, Julianne for permission to work on your picture!

Asher