• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Approaching posted images! Edit or not someone else's work!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Everyone,

What is your wish when you post an image in OPF, not in an editing, work flow or retouch challenge:

1.Do you feel it is finished, your work and no one should touch it?

2. As above but give your impressions, feelings and thoughts?

3. Tell me what I need to do to make this picture more impressive?

4. What the &*%#$% did I do wrong, help? The latter we all agree needs the paramedics and we do that fine!

So how do you feel when you post?

Let me give my take, other opinions are important, but this is mine:

There might be an assumption that we can edit. That is not always true. Sometimes I have taken the liberty to edit and repost after careful consideration and generally with prior private request to the poster. So, I for sure am not innocent!

If a photographer has snapped a picture at a birthday party as part of memories or see I was there by the Eiffel Tower or what ever, then there is less issue of editing, less trespass.

However, portraits that have been "made" by a photographer are much more of a private thing presented to us to enjoy. I, myself am rather agressive in commenting, because in that we we all can learn from others good work and also challenging everyone else to discuss an approach.

I happen to know, since Nicolas Claris has made it clear, that he is one of those photographer's who show work they have labored on and post only when they are satisfied is complete.

So one can explore timidly and with deference.

Thus.

"Is there a version with more of the line of haystacks" or "Did you also consider taking this picture when there was nobody in the cafe?" or, to be really blasphemous, "Is this something that you can imagine in black and white?"

None of these statements disprespect the work, but do convey other ways of looking at the subject and therefore differently carry messages and meaning perhaps.

Now if you look at Holly's post "Light Meets Dark", and the "Swan with a Look of Condescension", she clearly implies the extra input.

Other photographers have a very open attitude and you can edit and repost you own version as you wish. If in doubt, a PM is always a great idea.

Another approach is to post a your own image that deals with the topic in a similar or alternative way!

This is the most popular and enjoyable part of the forum!

In any case, a great idea is to give your good impressions first and then "However, I really don't like the way you have posed his head, seems artificial".

Now for that to work, one has to post elsewhere too, so people know where you are coming from.

I guess the whole thing is a debate where we struggle to undersand what we can do by looking carefully at each other's work.

We absolutely do not want anyone to be inhibited. I, for example, respect Nicolas' decision to keep the lady hidden and I prefer not to see her utterly revealed ,yet I ,myself, would wish to see enough that I can discern someone is there and it is probably a woman. However, knowing that Nicolas posts finished images that he has carefully worked on, I wouldn't dream of actually downloading his pictures and altering them!

It might be a good idea to add, a "don't edit notice" as Nicolas does:

Nicolas Claris said:
Nicolas Claris
www.claris.fr - UPC
Please do not edit any of my pictures posted here.

if images must not be downloaded ever or edited even for reposting here! This by the way is a perfectly reaonable option and should be used more often and always respected.

This BTW, is NOT a chastisement for breaking a rule, just a gentle guidance for anyone who is kind enough to post to be able to be comfortable that their intentions are respected.

Asher

We do have challenges where we request explorations in creative possibilites in developing or repairing RAW or other images. Here we need you to pitch in and broaden our experience. This allows many of us look at things in ways that we'd never consider otherwise!

Jörgen Nyberg

Firstly, I don't mind edits, unless I specifically say so.

As for critique, my take is that, as soon as you go public, in any way, you must be able to handle it, good or bad.

Jörgen

Tom Henkel

A few thoughts....

I post things that intrigue me and I share the images to see if anyone else is also intrigued. While I always appreciate constructive feedback (pro or con), I’m not posting with the objective of getting 100 replies of “great image.” I’m interested in what the viewer sees and whether the image moves them in some way. Technical feedback is always good, but better when offered in context with the whole image. It’s not a problem with OPF, but I’m really put off by people (usually who never post images of their own) who attack images because of some minor technical complaint.

I’m turned off by Web sites where you are expected to comment on every image to be considered part of the community. I tend to comment on images only if I feel I have something of value to contribute. I don’t expect anything else in return. If no one responds to my images, fine – I’ll post something else later. If I don’t respond to your image it’s not because I hate it, I just don’t have anything constructive to say.

I’m bored by the praise junkies that haunt many Web photography forums. If everyone loves your work, you probably aren’t reaching far enough. Some of the lamest images are the ones that get a high volume of positive replies. Photographs should say something – make you think in some way. Posting images is a kind of litmus test. People tend to comment on things that attract their attention.

I only post images I like – but I don’t necessarily feel it’s my “best” work or my “final” edit. It’s a version I happen to like at the moment (to wit, see below). I’m curious what others think. I don’t really mind if people want to try an alternate edit of my work. If you don’t want anyone to touch one of your images, you probably shouldn’t post it on the Internet. If someone specifically asks that I refrain from editing their images, I’m happy to honor that request.

Tom

BTW, the shot below is of the Zakim bridge in Boston. Any thoughts are welcome.

74595474.jpg

Asher Kelman

Thanks so much Jörgen for your open attitude. It's good to know, and I'll for sure exploit that to good use if I may!

I’m interested in what the viewer sees and whether the image moves them in some way.
That is what OPF is about. The picture must carry something to beyond a snapshot. The latter are fine for one's album!

I’m turned off by Web sites where you are expected to comment on every image to be considered part of the community. I tend to comment on images only if I feel I have something of value to contribute.
OPF makes no demands; only an aspiration to images that move us.

Sharing images, reactions, methodologies, challenging questions or else information in equipment choice; each person does what they can!

I’m bored by the praise junkies that haunt many Web photography forums.
I hope we don't do that to excess!

. I don’t really mind if people want to try an alternate edit of my work. If you don’t want anyone to touch one of your images, you probably shouldn’t post it on the Internet. If someone specifically asks that I refrain from editing their images, I’m happy to honor that request.
Great attitude!

I'm holding back comment on your image and PMing you!

Asher

John Wright

My feeling is that I would rather not have anyone edit my images unless I specifically ask for it. I usually consider my images finished when I post them. I am open to constructive criticism of my images and if I don't know how to achieve the suggestions made, then I might ask for editing, as long as I was also given the techniques used.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
My concern is not that one wishes to train or try his own skills on an image of mine, in fact I could feel honored that one whished to try on one of MY image!

What I don't want is to see version that I don't like to be posted without my prior consent.

In a forum, I see 3 different possible cases:

1. Poster asks for his image to be commented and eventually edited. Fine.

2. Poster tells that his image shouldn't be edited. Clear

3. Poster does not say anything about editing. At least, I think that one shouldn't take the liberty to manipulate any image before prior consent of the author.

I've seen many times, for example, Asher asking someone what the poster thaught if an image be converted in B&W or cropped or blabla blabla, I don't remember seing Asher editing and posting an edited/manipulated image without being invited to do so.
This is fine with me.
It happened I were the poster and it happened that I tried he's suggestions. The contray happened too.
Still fine with me.

Someone suggested here that if one doesn't want to have his image to be edited one had better not to post on the Internet.
BUT where are we? Can't we have a little thinking before downloading and editing? Are we beasts?
It is exactly like saying if one doesn't want to have his flowers stolen one better not have flowers in its garden!

Here in OPF we are supposed to be respectfull of others, BY ALL MEANS

When I go to see friends at their home EVEN if I find the door open, I knock at that door (or ring the bell), I don't come in their house if I'm not invited to do so.
Why?
Because I'm:
a. polite
b. respectfull of thier privacy

An image is the expression of skill, sight, work, thoughts of the photographer. It is intimate though shared.

If you knock at my door, I'll open it (except if I thing you're a thief or a religion man trying to catch me) and you'll be welcome!

Freedom stops when it comes to bother other's mind.
or, in other words:
Freedom stops where that of the others begins

Ray West

Hi Nicolas,

You have explained it a bit differently cf your tag line. I think what you are saying is something like 'This is my image, in my eyes it is perfection. Edit it if you like, but please do not post your results, since in my view, and others, it will no longer be my work.'

It's the reposting, I think, is the problem - the possibility of the 'passing off' of other folks editing work as yours.

It's also a sort of an issue of copyright ownership not being related to author.

Now, if it were a sort of nasty/competitive thing, it would be easy to correctly follow the rules on this forum, and really mess with a guy's photographic standing, in particular if the resulting images were taken out of context. However, it is not like that here, and it rarely seems to 'go wrong', and if it does it is easy enough to correct.

Best wishes,

Ray

nicolas claris

Hi Ray

You don't know me very well, I never say or think that any of my image is perfect. Never.
As the author I just wish to keep the control of them.

I agree with you (for once!;-) and could change my signature like this:
"Edit it if you like, but please do not post your results, since in my view, and others, it will no longer be my work"

To make it simple, I would like these rules to be included in OPF's TOS:

1. Poster asks for his image to be commented and eventually edited. Do comment and edit but be carefull when posting.
2. Poster tells that his image shouldn't be edited. Don't edit.
3. Poster does not say anything about editing. Ask the author prior to editing and post.

Have a good day

Ray West

Hi Nicolas,

I have a bit of a 'wind up' from time to time ('wind' as in spring, not the cold stuff that blows from the north, oh, and 'spring' as in clockwork, not as in that which comes b4 summer). I know you know I know about your perfections..... or lack thereof.

I could agree with your three points, however I think it needs to differentiate between folk downloading and editing/playing for their own amusement cf they posting the results for public appraisal.

Maybe along the lines of 2)Poster tells that his image shouldn't be edited. Don't repost any edited images.

(er - which is your tag line version 2, part way towards, that is.)

I like your suggested new tag line, it gives a reason why. Could I suggest - "Edit it if you like, but please do not post your results, since it will no longer be my work" which saves a bit of virtual ink.

Best wishes,

Ray

Ivan Garcia

Hi Nicolas,

[snip]... - "Edit it if you like, but please do not post your results, since it will no longer be my work" ...[snip]

Best wishes,

Ray

Is that accurate?, surely if no editing have been requested, the work remains the property of the original poster, but , once you allow editing and reposting, there is an issue I have trouble with; who owns the copyright?, The original photographer? , the Editor?, or both.
I ask this because recently, while perusing some photographic art , I came across several pictures stating the name of the original photographer and below it, that of the editor, in some cases, Photographer unknown, was written below the editors name.
Can any of you clarify the legal standings of the editors.

Asher Kelman

Is that accurate?, surely if no editing have been requested, the work remains the property of the original poster, but , once you allow editing and reposting, there is an issue I have trouble with; who owns the copyright?, The original photographer? , the Editor?, or both.
I ask this because recently, while perusing some photographic art , I came across several pictures stating the name of the original photographer and below it, that of the editor, in some cases, Photographer unknown, was written below the editors name.
Can any of you clarify the legal standings of the editors.
Hi Ivan,

We have carefully considered this and we could have set up a route to shared copyright ownership. However, that, from experience in other creative content spheres, opens up the floodgates to a massive diversion of resources, time and money that no one has.

We'd end up the, with anger, people feeling that there rights have been ignored as well as spurious lawsuits. So we have a clear policy of voluntary exchange of rights.

1. So here in OPF we donate at no charge the space to freely post on condition that each photographer's original work and © is respected. Furthermore, in exchange for the extra privilege and opportunity of examing the work of others, the new and added creative content made by OPF users is hereby donated, transferred irrevocably to the original © owner.

2. OPF is donated, in exchange, unlimited use rights of any and all content of this forum and website, however © copyright remains with the resective original owners.

This has been our policy from the beginning of OPF.

I hope this clarifies things.

Asher

nicolas claris

Oulala
it comes to be long wording when you want to be precise!
Any ideas to get this line in the signature effective but shorter?

Would be easier if Asher could agree to add my 3 points above in OPF TOS, I would no longer need this signature!

The 3 rules before editing an image posted in OPF:

1. Poster asks for his image to be commented and eventually edited. Do comment and edit but be carefull when posting.
2. Poster tells that his image shouldn't be edited. Don't edit.
3. Poster does not say anything about editing. Ask the author prior to editing and post.

Asher Kelman

Oulala
it comes to be long wording when you want to be precise!
Any ideas to get this line in the signature effective but shorter?

All images posted are assumed to be For C & C, Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated Comment Only or Edit and Repost.

This is very simple.

We could perhaps have it appear on the dialong boxes for posting.

Asher

nicolas claris

All images posted are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated Comment Only or Edit and Repost.

Shorter, clearer.
This should be in the items to agree when registering, then everybody knows. And will hopefully post accordingly.

Ivan Garcia

Hi Ivan,

We have carefully considered this and we could have set up a route to shared copyright ownership. However, that, from experience in other creative content spheres, opens up the floodgates to a massive diversion of resources, time and money that no one has.

We'd end up the, with anger, people feeling that there rights have been ignored as well as spurious lawsuits. So we have a clear policy of voluntary exchange of rights.

1. So here in OPF we donate at no charge the space to freely post on condition that each photographer's original work and © is respected. Furthermore, in exchange for the extra privilege and opportunity of examing the work of others, the new and added creative content made by OPF users is hereby donated, transferred irrevocably to the original © owner.

2. OPF is donated, in exchange, unlimited use rights of any and all content of this forum and website, however © copyright remains with the resective original owners.

This has been our policy from the beginning of OPF.

I hope this clarifies things.

Asher
Hi Asher
When you say unlimited rights ... do you mean inclusive of commercial usage?
Also, although I don’t quiet agree with your policy of copyright donation to the original photographer, those are your rules and I shall abide by them.
None the less, I would like to offer a suggestion; since any copyright is waived to the original photographer, I think the name of the editor should be included in his version. After all, there are some very skilled editors in these forums; IMHO, it is just as much of a privilege for us to have them working on our files, as it for them to have access to our images.

Asher Kelman

Hi Ivan,

The rules are as when we started.

I do know that should I exhibit my own work with the variations provided generously by others who are indeed skilled, I will make reference and thank each one of them. I know that Stephen Teitelbaum will do the same of his New York Central Park M8 Leica photographs.

This will be done because we are a community an therefore respect each other.

I expect all of us to do that!

Someone who stuggles to get their vision from the wonderful shot, may very well want to take advantage of your great skills that you have demonstrated with other image challenges.

So that covers the original © photographer and the worth of the talented worker who adds their take.

"Unlimited use rights to OPF", That is in the TOS. This excludes any © position or claim by OPF in your own photographs. By publishing photographs here, you grant OPF the right to use the picture in any way for OPF. This, however gives OPF no right to actually sell the picture itself unless you grant that right.

I hope this answers your concerns and that beyond accepting the rules, as you gracefully have done, you now feel the solution is pretty fair!

We could have an exhibition requirement that the person who uses the image in an exhibit indicate aknowledge creative contributions of others if any. However, we really should stay away from anything that implies shared copyright.

I'll hopefully get expert input (when I can get it at no charge) from an attorney who specializes in intellectual property. However, for now, the guy is in the middle of several big cases!

The main idea is that of equity. You help others and we help you explore the extra potential of your image files. That to me makes us all winners!

Asher

Asher,

Limited Use Consent - I searched and couldn't find the definition for that... I understand the part about only posting renditions here. However, I posted a version that I am curious to see printed for my own personal evaluation.

Is this covered by the Limited Use Consent ?

Asher Kelman

Yes, I'll try to answer, you can print out a sample for judging your RAW procesing and subsequent creative work. You can't sell them or exhibit

Now can you keep and frame the picture for yourself? That would be something of value that you have made which is in fact exploitation of the photographer's work.

I'd say you must ask for permission!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher,

Limited Use Consent - I searched and couldn't find the definition for that... I understand the part about only posting renditions here. However, I posted a version that I am curious to see printed for my own personal evaluation.

Is this covered by the Limited Use Consent ?

This should be Limited use license.

Yes, I'll try to answer, you can print out a sample for judging your RAW procesing and subsequent creative work. You can't sell them or exhibit

Now can you frame the picture for yourself. That would be something of value that you have made which is in fact exploitation of the photographer's work.

I'd say you must ask for permission. You are otherwise expected to respect the © owners rights in law and in ethics.

Asher

If subsequently we need to recraft the syntax to maintain the intent in intepretation of our TOS (Terms of Service) on getting reivew by an expert in the relevant law, that will be done.

Ivan Garcia

Hi Ivan,

The rules are as when we started.

I do know that should I exhibit my own work with the variations provided generously by others who are indeed skilled, I will make reference and thank each one of them. I know that Stephen Teitelbaum will do the same of his New York Central Park M8 Leica photographs.

This will be done because we are a community an therefore respect each other.

I expect all of us to do that!

Someone who stuggles to get their vision from the wonderful shot, may very well want to take advantage of your great skills that you have demonstrated with other image challenges.

So that covers the original © photographer and the worth of the talented worker who adds their take.

"Unlimited use rights to OPF", That is in the TOS. This excludes any © position or claim by OPF in your own photographs. By publishing photographs here, you grant OPF the right to use the picture in any way for OPF. This, however gives OPF no right to actually sell the picture itself unless you grant that right.

I hope this answers your concerns and that beyond accepting the rules, as you gracefully have done, you now feel the solution is pretty fair!

We could have an exhibition requirement that the person who uses the image in an exhibit indicate aknowledge creative contributions of others if any. However, we really should stay away from anything that implies shared copyright.

I'll hopefully get expert input (when I can get it at no charge) from an attorney who specializes in intellectual property. However, for now, the guy is in the middle of several big cases!

The main idea is that of equity. You help others and we help you explore the extra potential of your image files. That to me makes us all winners!

Asher

Hi Asher
Thank you for your informative answer, there are several talented photographers-editors here at OPF, I am very flattered you consider me to be one of them.
I always though of your TOS as being very fair indeed, my questioning arose after my little visit to an art gallery in which (and as stated in my original question) the editors name was included in the final print.
All things being clear, I am, as always, looking forwards to continuing contributing to these forums.

Last edited: