• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Aurugids

This morning (wake-up time was 1:15 am) I went to watch and shoot me some Aurigids. It wasn't as spectacular as it was predicted. We saw a dozen, maybe two instead of thousands, and even these were rather small. However I still managed to get a few on camera.

I was using Canon 30D + EF-S 10-22, set on a tripod and controlled by TC-80N3 timer remote control. The settings were:

ISO 3200, 10mm, f/3.5, 14sec, 1 sec between the exposures.

I simply let the camera click and later at home went through all of them and pick up those with some action. I scored 3 on first pass and 3 more on a second. Culling through ~250 nearly identical shots is no fun, trust me on this, so no wonder I missed those second there on the first pass.

Here are the results:

1: I started with a 5-shot pano of night LA (mind you, it's from 6,000+ ft):

(click the image for a larger version)

2: Then I found a nice spot on a north side of the Mt.Wilson with a great view to the North-East. Here is my setup, you can see one of Mt.Wilson observatory domes further back, about half a mile away, I think. I used the umbrella to cover the moon, which was :

190371055-L.jpg

3: Meteor:

190371100-O.jpg

4: This is a rare case when my camera caught a rather large one in two shots. I dared to blend them together, covering a tiny gap. I'm positive it wasn't a plane, so I feel pretty solid about it.:

190371114-O.jpg

The rest of the shots are here: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/3403150

BTW, if anybody is seriously into this: I have about 250 original shots, all taken in a manner described above (14 sec exposure, 1 sec pause, hence 4 shots per minute), all large 8mp jpegs.

Last edited: