• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Backyard wildlife with the 40D

Ron Morse

A few shots from the backyard through a double pane UV resistant window.

Except for the first shot the sun was just coming up so I didn't have a lot of light to play with.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Does it happen wtih other shots (I mean elsewhere)?

Otherwise you may get there some useful tips to do a test yourself, I used it 2 years ago and… sent the lens and body to CPS!

There it is

Ron Morse

As soon as I get done with some thing that I have to get done today Nicolas I will post some other shots to see what you and others think.

Thanks

Ray West

Hi Ron,

What focus point/s were you using, what mode? If you have a wide aperture, and taking a bird head on, focussing on the head area, then the back half of said bird can be oof, and so will the grass in that area. Thus, if you look at the grass, it will be in focus from the legs forward, so to speak. (probably easier to explain with a horse ;-)

If you are really concerned, get out the spice jars, or a ruler....

Best wishes,

Ray

Ron Morse

Thanks Ray. I know exactly what you mean. It wasn't long after sunrise so the lense was pretty wide open limiting DF. Center focus point, evaluative.

Ray West

Hi Ron,

Knowing you a bit, I'm pretty certain the photos are as they should be. I'd be surprised if you found a problem with the camera/lens, or your use of same. (apart from, perhaps, familiarity issues)

Just noticed, on the third image, bottom rhs, os of frame, looks like part of a frog's head??

Best wishes,

Ray

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Just noticed, on the third image, bottom rhs, os of frame, looks like part of a frog's head??
imageshack…
header_white.jpg

Too bad, this one wasn't out of focus! lol

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great area you live in Ron!

Can you name and sex the birds? Also what kind of squirrel is that? Looks like it's dad was a beaver with that coloring! What lens and camera?

Asher

Ron Morse

Great area you live in Ron!

Can you name and sex the birds? Also what kind of squirrel is that? Looks like it's dad was a beaver with that coloring! What lens and camera?

Asher

If I remember right Asher the first bird is a Meadow Lark, the second bird is a Blue Jay. I don't know the sex.

The squirrel is a red squirrel and the little guy with the stripes is a chipmunk. Of course the last squirrel shown is a gray squirrel.

Funny thing about the squirrels. The gray is double maybe three times the size of a red squirrel yet the red will drive the grays off every time. I have seen them get into a fight and roll around like a furry ball. Always the gray will run with the red chaseing the gray clear across the lawn and into the woods. The poor chipmunk gets chased off by all of them.

The camera is my new 40D with the 70-200 f/2.8 IS and I think some of them were with the 500.