• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Beginner with product photography - Tips needed!

Adam Khan

As the title says, I'm looking to dip my toes in some product photography. Any tips on where to get started?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
As the title says, I'm looking to dip my toes in some product photography. Any tips on where to get started?
What is the product?

There are very different needs for.$25,000 watch, a used car or a $45 dress sold online!

I think that if you can shoot any of portraits appearing on your website, product photography would be a no brained.

However, first one has to decided what one is going to photograph. Nicolas Claris, a co-founder here in OPF, has a chase helicopter and speed boat for shooting luxury yachts and drones for vineyards and his Pentax MF for everything including the best cakes chefs can deliver!

But each represents a homing of special skills.

For example he knows boats: design, fabrication, sails, engines and can captain a vessel on the ocean!

Vineyards: he knows the grapes, soul, architecture and vintners and their family and world.

Let’s switch to junior miss dresses: you need a safe place for models, make up artist perhaps, lighting setup, backdrops and a standard of 3-5 poses and be prepared to shoot all day to get a collection of 10 to 50 dresses.

By contrast for jewelry you need a light tent, flexible highlight lights and fabric as required by store or manudacturers. Or you may also need a studio setup for a model or portable lighting and an assistant to shoot on location.

It all starts with your product and it’s market as THESE define how your picture is being used and the expectations.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
If you get to one first goal, folk will try to contribute guidance!

One fellow here started making careful copies for art galleries of their paintings. Be imaginative and find out what might be open to you and focus on that!

Obviously you are not going to do a photographic insurance inventory of Buckingham Palace as your first project!

Good luck!

Asher

For good product photography Pay attention to the lighting. Proper lighting can make a huge difference in the quality of your product photos. Avoid using direct, harsh light that creates shadows or washes out the product.

Brooke Cagle

Many online tips and resources can help you get started with product photography. Here are some of the common ones:

• Have the proper equipment, including lighting and a tripod.

• Set up your studio with backgrounds, props, and lights that suit your product and audience.

• Use manual settings on your camera to control exposure, focus, and white balance.

• Try continuous and strobe lighting to see what works best for your product.

• Take a class or online course on photo editing to enhance your images.

• Don’t add props that may distract from your product or confuse your message.

• Use a sweep or portrait mode to emphasize the product and create a clean background.

• Pick the correct aperture for your image to control the depth of field and sharpness.

I hope these tips are helpful to you. You can check the web search results below for more details or examples.

Asif Khan

Banned
When starting with product photography, it's important to have the right equipment, including a camera with a macro lens, lighting equipment, and a tripod. It's also important to consider the composition of the photo, including the background and angle of the shot. Experiment with different setups and lighting techniques to find what works best for your product. Finally, post-production is an important part of the process, so learn how to edit your photos using software like Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom.

Last edited:

Roahads

Thanks for the helpful tips on product photography! Looking forward to trying out these techniques and improving my skills. If anyone has more tips, please share!