• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bird of Paradise

This is another flower bought for my wife that I really enjoyed looking at and photographing, especially up close. I don't have much in the way of background materials in my house/living room/studio so I will sometimes get in close and see what I can find rather than try for the entire flower. This one is soothing to me but not at all to my wife. She thinks I may have a disorder.
_DSC1934.jpg

ron_hiner

James... I'm getting jaded about flower pictures.... I don't even click on all the links anymore. I love to take them myself... but rarely to I carry them all the way through to a nice print.

This shot, however, I LOVE! It speaks to me some how. Nice work!

Having said that, the bottom 1/4 of the frame doesn't add anything, I don't think. If it were mine, I'd crop tighter.

Great stuff... thanks for sharing.

Ron

Hey, that's a Strelitzia! (native to South Africa, one of our most distinctive flowers). It's common name here is "Kraanvoëlblom" - "Crane flower" because it so very accurately resembles a species of crane also found here.

I agree with Ron about the bottom part not really adding anything to the image, and, to be honest, your shot does not really sow the true unusual character of this flower, to me. My colleage Fritz Solms took an interesting shot of a Strelitzia recently, if you'd like a different "angle":

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=2041747

That said, your shot is technically well done, and I love the colours. I'd love to see any of your further explorations of this flower, it is one of the most interesting flowers!

Thank you Ron and Dawid. I have gotten away from flowers myself lately and want to get back to them. I agree that the bottom portion might not add to the image. I will work on that because my wife wants it printed. Unfortunately I no longer have the flower and will have to see if I can locate another to further investigate. It really is a unique and beautiful flower. That is why I bought it in the first place. I will just have to try again someday and see if I can convey a better message. I did take a few other snaps while I still had it. Nothing special but it at least shows more of the flower. Thank you both for your input.
_DSC1926.jpg

_DSC1923.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
James, the last image is perfect for a crane! I'd add some background to increase the right margin with some free space! You picture is outstanding. So clean and well executed!

Who ever said "frame tightly and then crop even closer" should be muzzled!

Asher