• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Black & White Friend

Andrew Smith

BugLeafBWiWeb.jpg

I've enjoyed and appreciated everyone's work and comments.

Andy

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Andy,

What kind of ?spider is that? Also how did you get this image? Did you put the ?spider on the leaf or you were looking for it?

Could you share your choice of B&W?

I ask that because often the identification of insects. spiders requires color. It seems to have a violin shape on its back which I vaguely remember is indicative of a particular species.

In fact, what was this like before the B&W conversion, or was it a B&W image from the outset?

I'd like to know something of your intent with this. Meaning was this to create an art piece or to demonstrate how how it looks in B&W?

I find the compositon is engaging. I'd love to know more!

Asher

Andrew Smith

Knowing more...

Thanks for the interest and the great questions!

• No clue about the type of spider, but he was not very colorful himself. I was looking for various flora subjects around the house, and there he was... right there posing for me. Not very camera shy, fortunately.

Color versus black and white... I tend to do a mixture of color, black and white, infrared and duotones. I like the variety, and have to admit I find it enjoyable to work with the same photo in different ways. Sometimes it's obvious which direction to go, and other times I'm surprised my my final decision.

In this case, the spider was not colorful, so going black and white didn't hurt the view of him. While the background was a nice shade of green, I like the look and feel of the leaf in the darker shade. For me, the black and white version also lends a little more mystery to the shot.

• Intent; that's always a tough question! I didn't take the shot thinking "black and white." Saying "art" sounds a little egotistical for me to say, but I think (hope) that it creates a sense of interest in the viewer. I guess that's art!

Thanks again for asking.

Andy

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Andy,

How did you transform to B&W? I'd love to see any other versions you might have.

Did you ever try assigning a brighter tone to the green leaf and different tones to the slightly different colors of the spider?

Asher

Andrew Smith

It's been awhile since I worked on that photo, so to be honest, I'm not sure what method I used!

I try different thing, channel mixer, lightness channel, etc. I don't think I used it for the spider shot, but recently I've often been using the lightness channel of LAB as a starting point. Might be worth trying it again on the spider shot at some point.

Thanks for the thoughts; definitely worth exploring!

Andy