• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

blank spots on canvas

Hi,

I am printing with an Epson 9800 on JetPro Matte UV canvas, using matte black. QImage, custom profile made by the printer supplier, printer driver Enhanced Matte Paper (MK) as suggested by the printer supplier and used in profile generation.

A few white (uninked) spots are present on most prints, which on closer examination appear to be where ink has not gone into some dips in the canvas weave. These spots are not visible at a normal viewing distance (2-3 times oblique dimension of the canvas, printing 18*12 and 18*28 inches), but can be seen close up, usually in areas of sky.

My thoughts thus far are that it could be irregularity of the canvas, dust on the canvas, poor profile, or insufficient ink application.

I would value advice, thanks in anticipation.

Tudor.

Don Lashier

Hi Tudor,

I don't often print on canvas, but found that brushing the paper (prior to printing) with a drafting brush eliminated the white non-inked spots I was getting with rag papers. This may not be your issue, but if you're not pre-brushing, you should be.

- DL

Hi Don,

No, brushing does not solve the problem. It looks as if there is just not enough ink to get into the pits. Is there some way to increase the density of ink coverage, or is this a profile issue ?

Thanks,

Tudor.

Don Lashier

> Is there some way to increase the density of ink coverage, or is this a profile issue ?

On a lesser printer like the 2200 this would be handled by the media type setting. I don't know how the 9800 handles it.

- DL

Alain Briot

pro member
Don Lashier said:
> Is there some way to increase the density of ink coverage, or is this a profile issue ?
- DL

There is if you use ImagePrint for example. The Epson driver also has control for ink density, but it is more difficult to adjust in my experience.

Regarding blank spots on canvas and watercolor paper, I personally retouch those just like I would for a chemical color print. I save leftover Epson ink in "empty" ink cartridges, keep them in air tight bottles that I purchased just for that from a chemical supply company, and use this ink for retouching. With careful mixing (I was trained as a painter) I can achieve just about any tone or hue.

Thanks Alain,

The Epson driver has a setting for "Color Density" - I presume this changes the density of ink. Before proceeding I am getting back to my supplier to check whether the Enhanced Matte media driver is the most appropriate. Today I made a print at 2800 rather than 1440 dpi, but still three spots on 14*20 inches.

Thanks for the tip about touch ups - my wife is a colour whizz and is keen to do this. However, I am first trying to get the problem solved rather than adding another step to the work flow.

Regards, Tudor.

Alain Briot

pro member
Your best bet is to:
1-brush the canvas prior to printing
2-retouch the blank spots with ink
3-use a different type of canvas.

In this order. If one and two don't work for you, then three is the solution. More ink or a different profile won't help. More ink may fill the "holes" but it will result in lower print quality elsewhere as you'll have too much ink in other areas. Profiles are designed for color fidelity, not to fill blank spots ;-)

Of course, as I always say, it is a free country and you can do as you please. Just keep in mind I have over 10 years experience using inkjet printers and make my living selling fine art prints :)

Hi Alain,

As you may have gathered, these are my first faltering steps into printing on canvas, and you have obviously handled similar problems with success. Your advice about a "solution" causing more problems is well taken.

So, I am brushing canvas, will touch up the more obvious spots, and have ordered trial rolls of other canvas to see if they also have this issue.

Again, many thanks for your help,

Regards, Tudor.

Alain Briot

pro member
Somewhere in these 3 possibilities lies the solution. I personally like Epson Canvas, both waterproof and regular, and never had such problems as you have with it.