• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bluebirds

Chris Calohan

Soon the babies will fledge the nest....but until then I at least have something to shoot...image heavy..

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Chris, these are so colorful. What makes bird houses successful. Do you design different hole size or different wood to attract various particular species, or is it “first come, first served”?

Asher

Chris Calohan

Seems that the birds know what fits and why but that's beyond me. My friends have wood duck boxes (4), woodpecker houses (2) and four bluebird houses. When I am finished with my house and subsequent landscaping, I too shall have a similar setup though I think I am going to add a bat house to help control the mosquito population around my house.

Not much to scale by but this bird is only about five inches long, beak to tail and that hole in the nesting box is not much more than an inch and a half in diameter. The shots were made from about 20-25 feet using a D500 coupled to a 200-500. I was shooting at 200mm except for the first and next to the last shots which were at 500mm. The odd angle to the birdhouse is the result of Hurricane Michael...and this post is buried in three feet of concrete...nature can be a scary mistress, eh.

Asher Kelman

The extra detail is helpful to understand your setup and the conditions.

Where are you up to with your house?

Asher

Chris Calohan

Well, back area that got blown off is back in place, sans the brickwork. New roof is on. Old insulation has been removed and new stuff to come in next week - sometime - then it is sheetrock, more insulation, painting and flooring to finish out the inside and vinyl soffits, eaves, gutters and exterior paint...about another month....or so....God only knows and right now he's mum on the subject.

Asher Kelman

Chris,

I am so sorry you have to be involved and be concerned by this awful disruption.

Was this covered by FEMA or your insurance?

I hate to think what this does to normal life and family.

So many contractors start demolition, have your deposit and then are working back on other jobs and spread the effort such that no one fires them, LOL!

Are the pictures you take new or from before the damage to your home?

Asher

Chris Calohan

While I wait, I shoot...Just yesterday our hurricane was upgraded from a Cat 4 to a Cat 5 making it the 4th strongest ever to hit the mainland https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...-category-5-weathertiger-analysis/3524064002/ Everybody is doing the best they can. It's hard to imagine the amount of damage here. FEMA is a bad word here as they have provided less than a thousand trailers though there are over 20,000 homeless. Donald wants his wall and is taking all the FEMA money.

Asher Kelman

The disgrace is not Donald. His job has been to launder KGB money through his shady operations. The republicans who allow his hate mongering against Hispanic asylum families and blacks are shameful and their silence and inaction is indefensible.

These immigrants have very low crime rates are family folk!

We are short 3 million people a year to maintain our society!

Europeans aren’t having enough babies!

Asher

Chris Calohan

The republicans are all in it together...my brother in law thinks the donald walks on water and his only defense for the donald is, "better than Hillary;" this is the mindset of most of his followers because they will not read the Mueller report which clearly outlines how a disinformation attack on Hillary was how the donald got elected. We live in a scary world but perhaps with a few more scathing rebukes from Republicans like Romney (whom I despise on almost all other counts) will bring a few more Republicans out to publicly rebuke as well.
My question to the donald has been and will remain...Who is going to be your future workforce if you close the border? Young Americans think it is beneath their dignity to work in fields and therefore, simply won't...maybe young Baron will step up to the task.

Asher Kelman

Chris,

These are superb. But I only just realized that you have uploaded large enough images but you are only showing icon sizes!

They deserve to be shown large!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Chris,

Once again I am taking the liberty of displaying proudly your pictures full size, as they deserve!

Your pictures show these birds provide a well balanced diet of diverse insects as well as berries! They’re like pediatric nutritionists!

A treasure trove of beautiful biology and ecology!

Thanks so much Chris!

Asher

....and how’s the rebuilding and FEMA? Make a new updated thread on the process!