• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Brian

StuartRae

More out of a sense of duty than anything else, I was doing a bit of desultory gardening this morning when I spotted a small snail racing through the undergrowth.

I took several shots, but my problem was that every time I moved a bit of grass or a leaf to make him more visible, he pulled the duvet over his head.

EOS 350D, EF-S 60mm Macro, tripod, remote, MLU.

IMG_1542-01.jpg

IMG_1550-01.jpg

IMG_1551-01.jpg

It wasn't until I stood up to ease my legs that I discovered I'd been kneeling on one of his friends. Sorry Brian! By the time I'd scraped the remains off my jeans and got the garlic butter ready Brian had completely disappeared. Although there was that faint crunching noise as I picked the tripod up..........

Regards,

Stuart

Just incase, why Brian? Some of our viewers may never have seen the Magic roundabout

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
But it's Ambroise!
Nice shots BTW, cute little boy/girl… looks so fragile (as it's friend, one can hear the cratch from here :-( )

StuartRae

Peek-a-boo!

This one just wouldn't cooperate. I tempted him-her with a nice piece of lettuce, tried a piece of cheese, even offered a small glass of my best malt, but he-she resolutely refused to come out.
I had this strange feeling I was being watched though............

IMG_1563-01.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Yeah! this one is really great!

A new version of "big brother"!

The salad a bit to saturated for my taste though ;-)

This one just wouldn't cooperate. I tempted him-her with a nice piece of lettuce, tried a piece of cheese, even offered a small glass of my best malt, but he-she resolutely refused to come out.

They're supposed to be suckers for beer!

Great shot. Focus is tricky, but you (s)nailed it!

Bart

StuartRae

Bart and Nicolas,

Thanks for the comments. Yes, beer may have worked, but I'd drunk it all :)

The salad a bit to saturated .....

Sounds like a third-rate spy movie.

Man carrying rolled-up newspaper: "The salad is too saturated".
Man wearing red carnation: "Lettuce is greener in the spring".

I must admit to having cheated for this one. The weather's been so dreadful today that I just made a quick foray into the garden, grabbed a large leaf (chestnut) and two snails, and retreated to the kitchen to take some photos.
Maybe big brother refused to come out because of the proximity of the garlic butter. The small yellow one, however, was so lively that I got motion blur on all the shots I took of him. :-?

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The truth about Brian!

IMG_1563-01.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Still, it's close to the truth, still it's not as it was but as it is., somewhat made up by you. So it would be ~90% factive, 10% fictive. I'm just experimenting with looking at photographs from the point of view of a goal of objectivity which we cannot reach. Even choosing the angle is somewhat altering of the perception of the thing.

Ideally, news reporting should be 100% "factive" with more than one picture. Here, the snail is seen first in as much a perfect reporting manner as is possible at the time. Going further helps us fill in gaps. There is no deception even in staging the scene, since you disclosed what you did. So altogether this is an excellent portrait of Brian. He/she can be proud.

Snail_mating.jpg

Wikipedia Photo © Laurenthumblet

Now land snails are hermaphrodites; slugs too. When they seem to be just chatting at the bar and he's leaning over close apparently whispering something in her ear, don't believe it! Each gives and gets sperm. They both lay eggs!

Asher