• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Caged

John Harper

Hi There

Well i thought i would post a couple of shots on a similar theme. Taken at Marwell Zoo so it does show Wildlife, but its certainly not in the wild.

The animal is a Cotton Topped Tamarin a close relative of the Golden Lion Tamarin that i posted a while ago.

These particular animals are not allowed to roam free like the Golden Lion ones are, and i feel these shots illustrate the other side to Zoo life which maybe isn't so pleasant, and the desire of the animal to be free.

They were taken in JPG's in the days before i shot RAW. But i wanted to see what feelings they inspired in other people when seeing them.

John

caged.jpg

caged2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi john,

Thanks for sharing your interesting observations. I noice they dont have their nails cut. What do they need them for?

Do they seem upset?

When you say roam free, do you mean they have not space to allocate to them or that these animals for some reason cannot be kept out in the open?

There are no wounds on their hands, indicating they are not damaging themselves trying desperately to escape.

They do seem healthy. What makes you think they are unhappy as opposed to liking being on the fence, like old men in a Greek or Armeinan village I've seen who sit by a wall, observing people passing by?

Anyway, this is a good them to explore further. I wonder if the image will become even more integrated in black and white?

Excuse me, Nicolas, I just would like to see it! I'm not saying that's how it should be!! :)

Asher

John Harper

Hi john,

Thanks for sharing your interesting observations. I noice they dont have their nails cut. What do they need them for?

Do they seem upset?

When you say roam free, do you mean they have not space to allocate to them or that these animals for some reason cannot be kept out in the open?

There are no wounds on their hands, indicating they are not damaging themselves trying desperately to escape.

They do seem healthy. What makes you think they are unhappy as opposed to liking being on the fence, like old men in a Greek or Armeinan village I've seen who sit by a wall, observing people passing by?

Anyway, this is a good them to explore further. I wonder if the image will become even more integrated in black and white?

Excuse me, Nicolas, I just would like to see it! I'm not saying that's how it should be!! :)

Asher

Hi Asher

The nails i think are needed for when they forage for insects, they allow them to hook them out of nooks and crannies.

They didn't seem to be upset... perhaps this one was showing off for the camera.

On the roaming front not sure if its a space issue or if they are a more aggressive species than the Golden Lion ones.

Here is one in Black & White.

John

caged2bw.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I think this is bgetter esthetically! The image appears more integrated and we are not disracted by the color. In the coor picture, the wooden frame is too powerful and the sky distracts.

More than that, the steelo wire is part of the tonalities found in the animal, so , here at least

B&W delivers more of a close realationship, a confluence of parts and differences to make a whole, well-connected matter to ponder. The latter characteristic, I think is the richness of B&W.

I never, thought of that before!!!

I really lke this image now. It's impressive and provocative!

What do others think?

Asher

Tamarin Vocalizations:
http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~mnkylab/media/tamarincalls.html

Tamarin Profile:

The cotton-top tamarin has been used in medical research, Burnie & Wilson. 2001. Animal. Smithsonian Institution/DK Publishing, Inc., NY, USA. , and currently there are more of these monkeys in captivity than in the wild.

The cotton-top tamarin is a small monkey about the size of a squirrel. It weighs less than 0.5 kg (1 lb). The species’ most distinguishing characteristics are the crest and mane on its head, both white. Its face is black, and its temples and the sides of its head are covered with short silvery hairs. Its back is primarily black or brown, while the underparts of the body, arms, and legs are predominantly white. The cotton-top tamarin is found in humid tropical forest, dry deciduous forest, and secondary growth forest. This tamarin is also highly adaptable to secondary or remnant forest fringes or patches and can live in relatively disturbed habitats. Fruits and insects comprise the majority of the cotton-top tamarin's diet. It is arboreal and diurnal, arising an hour after dawn and retiring well before dark. Foraging generally takes place in mid-lower strata of the forest. Sleeping sites are in the upper canopy, where a cotton-top tamarin sleeps on a wide branch or forking branches or amid tufts of leafy vegetation.

Further very interesting Info:
http://proyectotiti.com/english/cotton-top-tamarins.htm

How it makes me feel?

First thing that stroke me is the five fingers. The first picture did not trigger my typical reaction to caged animals, he could be simply climbing and living in a larger area.

The second triggers it much more, because I associated the chipped of pieces of wood with the animals attempt to get his freedom.