• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon G10 Due out in October

Anybody know anything about this camera? 14.7 mp? 3" LCD, 28-140 zoom (35mm equiv). Sounds great for $499.

Hi Doug,

Besides the specs, which look smashing, it's a bit too soon to really judge. Having said that, it does seem that a number of (r)evolutionary developments are squeezed in this smallish point-and-shoot.

I'm particularly interested in how the "i-Contrast" per pixel gain is implemented. I hope it is something that can be switched on for Raws, not only JPEGs. The very small sensels can only handle low dynamic range, so an "auto gain" based on scene content will be a necessity to avoid black featureless shadows and clipped highlights under anything other than overcast cloud conditions.

I'm looking forward to some in depth tests, bring-em-on.

Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Doug,

Besides the specs, which look smashing, it's a bit too soon to really judge. Having said that, it does seem that a number of (r)evolutionary developments are squeezed in this smallish point-and-shoot.

I'm particularly interested in how the "i-Contrast" per pixel gain is implemented. I hope it is something that can be switched on for Raws, not only JPEGs. The very small sensels can only handle low dynamic range, so an "auto gain" based on scene content will be a necessity to avoid black featureless shadows and clipped highlights under anything other than overcast cloud conditions.

I'm looking forward to some in depth tests, bring-em-on.

Bart
Hi Bart,

Would one gain over the G9 in downsampling and if so under what conditions?

Asher