• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge: Show off how good you and your digicam are!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rhys,

In 2003 you took pictures of insects. So what now with your digicam? What's the best you have now

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Now let's see. My EOS 40D is a digital camera. So why isn't it a "digicam"? (Is it because it is so big that the entire words "digital" and "camera" would fit on it?)

Then, if a digital camera were really little, would it be a dica?

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Now let's see. My EOS 40D is a digital camera. So why isn't it a "digicam"? (Is it because it is so big that the entire words "digital" and "camera" would fit on it?)

Then, if a digital camera were really little, would it be a dica?
Hi Doug,

Actually, the pocketable Digicam is where we'll see amazing advances because of the market size, although the size of the Digital Rebel market must eclipse that of many individual digicams. The special thing about small rangefinder cameras and modest digicams is that they don't socially perturb the milieu as much as a DSLR. So that's why I'm interested in the work done by this class of cameras. It should be more natural and less posed. Also, because it's more readily carried everywhere, the scope for types of pictures is much greater.

Asher

Sion Fullana

One of my favorite pictures I've taken... with the iPhone 3G

Of course it has some postproduction, but minimal, on Picnik. It's a concert of the Canadian band THE DEARS in New York, last week. I couldn't believe how amazing the phone captured the light.

2968112925_8f76c3d8de_b.jpg

"Dear The Dears"
© Sion Fullana 2008

Brandon Rice

So this is my first post here. Yay!
So this first one was taken on any given weekday on 5th ave in NY. I love the streets and the randomness of encounters that happen every day. This image strikes me because The man with glasses is observing a moment of the "boxer's" life in progress, and I am observing them both.
The stillness of the observer and the motion of the boxer are vastly different energies, but they combine nicely.
Just snapped and got a nice moment. Ricoh GR-Digital... Gem of a camera.
It has it flaws, but I accept them and right now it's the only camera I use.

f4, 1/60, 100iso

2371607076_de98b9e7a2_b.jpg

This next one was taken on 9/11/05... : (
Rooftop in Williamsburg Brooklyn looking west to downtown Manhattan. The image looked far better in BW than color as I feel that the memorial itself is sort of a polarized image and moment in NY. We look at the lights and we think of the disaster although we continue on our days. The moment of that disaster is so clear in memory, yet it really stands as a snapshot in history already. I just felt color felt wrong. Like the image needed more of a sense of nostalgia to avoid being harsh.

It's shot with a Leica Digilux 2; f2, 2 seconds, 100 iso.

450911462_828f8bcc58_b.jpg

And this one was shot using the same camera...
It's a random trailer park in the Canadian Rockies. Somewhere between Vancouver and Calgary. I liked how it was a typical low-income trailer park with all of the typical trapping of one, yet it's really surreal to see it in the context of the beautiful surroundings. It just goes to show that riches aren't always measured in monetary terms. I feel like having that peaceful environment around you makes you richer than most. Years of city living make me want nature, but only in harmony with modern culture. This trailer park is very heavenly...

f7.1 1/1000, 200 iso

460110473_48518def30_b.jpg

Personally for my style of shooting, I use nothing but digicams.
I hope to get the DP-1 as I hear it's amazing.
Would love the Epson RD-1, but it's a bit out of my range.
Feel free to critique my work...
Cheers!
B

Last edited:

Erie Patsellis

pro member
Does a Canon S2IS count? I shot these quickly for an ad comp for a small winery in the area on spec, after a short converstion with the owners, I didn't sell the work, but you it shows that you can do an awful lot with a p&s digicam:

workingad1sm.jpg

workingad2copy.jpg

erie

Doug Kerr

Digicam? Digicam?

We tend to assume that the digicam is somehow less important in photography than the "professional" cameras.

Remind me what a "digicam" is. Evidently, the term is not short for "digital camera".

What does the word refer to, and how did it get that name? (Perhaps more importantly, why should it have it?)

Your introduction suggests that the term applies to a digital camera that is not a "professional" digital camera. Maybe that makes an EOS 5D a "demi-digicam", or "degicam".

Best regards,

Doug

Mark Doodeman

I don't know if this is overdone, or a bit too plain, but I love how the reflections confuse a bit, and how sharp the lines are on the center building. Critique welcome! (I love my Fuji S8100fd)

The left and right building segments are orderly and plain. The wavy, distorted reflection on the center building segment breaks that up with a little chaos.

Make FUJIFILM Model FinePix S8100fd
Aperture Value f/7.2 Color Space sRGB
Exposure Bias Value 0 EV Exposure Program Aperture Priority
Flash No Flash Focal Length 5.8 mm
ISO 100 Metering Mode Multi-Segment
Shutter Speed Value 1/80 sec Date/Time Mon 01 Sep 2008 05:09:34 PM PDT

Asher Kelman

Remind me what a "digicam" is. Evidently, the term is not short for "digital camera".

What does the word refer to, and how did it get that name? (Perhaps more importantly, why should it have it?)

Your introduction suggests that the term applies to a digital camera that is not a "professional" digital camera. Maybe that makes an EOS 5D a "demi-digicam", or "degicam".
A digicam is a shortened term for digital camera. It has come to mean small camera that is not based on a camera with a rangefinder like a Voigtlander or Leica or a reflex optical system like a moving mirror or prism as in a Canon DSLR or a Canon 1 film Camera.

Digicams were generally the more point and shoot simpler cameras but now there have appeared cameras with features that Pros and enthusiasts seek such as RAW files, manual controls, fine lenses and low noise. Recently with the appearance of the Sigma DP-1, they have leveraged on larger sensors too.

Asher