• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge, Sports, Showing Super-Competitiveness 2006_08 Sports Super Competitive_01

Ivan Garcia

Hi all and thank you for your kind words on my Image.
The reason is tilted (inclined?) is simple, the picture was taken level, but due the high shutter speed needed to freeze the exhaust heat waves, the car looks stationary, so I decided to crop it, giving it an incline to create a sense of speed, it also helps with the dynamics of the picture as the car is cornering at high speed, I tried to use the opposite incline, but it just did not look right… judging from your constructive critique, I recon I’ve achieved my goal.

Don Lashier

Forgot about this one, sorry, it needs to be bigger than 800.

nd23523p.jpg

- DL

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hard racing spirit…

got this one last Saturday, shot during the "Voiles de Saint-Tropez.
There were less than 2 feet between the 2 boats, racing at about 12 knots in 25 knots breeze…
_G8A6161_Tango.jpg

Mary Bull

Nicolas Claris said:
got this one last Saturday, shot during the "Voiles de Saint-Tropez.
There were less than 2 feet between the 2 boats, racing at about 12 knots in 25 knots breeze…
I believe you! To my eyes, they look as if they are colliding.

The "breeze" was whipping up some whitecaps in that blue bay water too, wasn't it!

Mary

nicolas claris

Mary Bull said:
The "breeze" was whipping up some whitecaps in that blue bay water too, wasn't it!
Yep! and this is why I got a sun burn on my old head were a lot (not to say all :?() my hair have gone away since a long time...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is an amazing thread too!

What superb pictures. I look at lots of post then I have found some incredible threads that seem to really work and this is one of them.!

Asher

Don Lashier

Asher Kelman said:
What superb pictures. I look at lots of post then I have found some incredible threads that seem to really work and this is one of them.!

Asher

My motocross shot actually has a flaw in the next to last frame. Can you spot it? And what I did to recover it?

- DL

Cem_Usakligil

Don Lashier said:
My motocross shot actually has a flaw in the next to last frame. Can you spot it? And what I did to recover it?

- DL
Don,

Do you refer to the fact that the last two frames overlap each other (i.e. the knee on the wheel)? If so, then there are many things you could have done such as masking and moving bits in photoshop. I don't have a clue really :).

Cem

Larry Cothren

Here is one from last weekend at my son's first soccer game. We told him that he cannot use his hands to play soccer. I never thought about fists.
soccer.jpg

Nill Toulme

This is a wonderful serendipitous shot Larry. So often we talk about how busy backgrounds detract from images, but in this case there's so much interesting stuff going on that for me it just works. I love how the color of the Coke trailer matches the unis, I love how the guy in the background is floating a ball and staring right at the camera, I love the old gent in the chair (is this Ala or Miss by any chance?), and I love the different looks of the kids. Neat stuff.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Don Lashier

Cem Usakligil said:
Don,

Do you refer to the fact that the last two frames overlap each other (i.e. the knee on the wheel)? If so, then there are many things you could have done such as masking and moving bits in photoshop. I don't have a clue really :).

Hi Cem,

That's not it. In real position the frames all overlapped quite a bit. I spread them out to give a cleaner look but to maintain even spacing had to (intentionally) overlap the knee on the last frame. I actually had no true reference between the frames as I was not on a tripod but zoomed in and panning with the action (that's a clue).

- DL

Last edited:

James Garavuso

My nephew plays Basketball

Here is a shot I took of my nephew playing basketball. Not pro grade but I think its interesting the way it shows movement.

IMG_0897_1_1.JPG

Don Lashier

Don Lashier said:
... panning with the action (that's a clue).
Ok, a couple years ago when I posed this question at DPR someone figured it out almost immediately - spotted that the wheel didn't rotate between the last two frames (valve stem was in the same location). The problem was that due to being zoomed in so close and following the action, the bottom half of the rear wheel dropped out of the frame so I cloned it from the last frame adjusting for perspective using PS's transform tool.

This was trivial compared to matching the sky in the composite. I had exposure locked but the arc in the composite is artificial so sky gradient was all shifted, plus because of the tight framing I had to patch in big areas of sky.

btw I shot this RAW+jpeg and did the composite from the jpegs as a quick "proof of concept". I spent so much time (maybe 10 hours) on the proof that I'll probably never go back and duplicate it from the raws (although my PS masking skill has advanced so much in the meantime that I could probably do it in a fraction of the time).

- DL

Last edited:

Don Lashier

Nill Toulme said:
Speaking of clues and masking, Don, how about a masking tutorial for those of us without a clue?
That was my plan - using Ivan's "holiday" shot as it exibits the need for a variety of masking techniques, but I simply haven't had time. Until I find the time the quick demo of the swimming pool shot will have to do.

Now that I've learned a few shortcut masking tricks, I use it much more frequently than I used to - for instance, I used masking for both of my "birds in flight" photos although these images are still on my website in the unmasked version. For instance:

"straight" version
nd22361p.jpg

"masked" corrected (for typical underwing shade) version which only took a few minutes
E74D2167-800.jpg

- Don

Bev Sampson

Don, I encounter under wing shadow all the time. Unfortunately when I lighten with Shadow and Highlight tool in PSCS, noise and artifax are apparent. Would you be kind enough to explain in more detail the masking technique you used.

Bev

Jim Kenny

Super Competitive can mean lots of things - hope this is one of them.

splash.jpg

This was with 10D 70-200 1/500sec f/3.5 - rig was on a monopod I was also holding a beach umbrella standing is about 2 inches of water ... lucky there was no big wind with the rain.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great Idea the monopod, but you'd have been good even without it. There's a little umbrella device that can fit on your tripod to keep the camera dry.

Anyway, the shot really shows the competitive spirit. Excellent job and thanks for your contribution.

Who are the kids, BTW?

Asher

Last edited:

Tony Panzica

great photo

I hope the parents bought poster on that shot. I have taken 10's of thousands of football photos, have not gotten that shot, yet. great job.

How do you post a photo to this site?

Nill Toulme

I don't think you can direct link to an image in a Flash presentation like that. But I really like that shot of the football player reaching for the endzone with the ball.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Daniel Harrison

pro member
Hi Tony,
That first one in your portfolio with the player reaching for the line is brilliant! I have a bad feeling he didn't quite make it? Really great elements to that image- it is as close to perfect as I can imagine.

Tony Panzica

I wish there was a way to just cut and paiste a photo into the thread. I am sure I am not the only one with this dilema. Glad you like the work. He did not make it!

nicolas claris

Tony Panzica said:
I wish there was a way to just cut and paiste a photo into the thread. I am sure I am not the only one with this dilema. Glad you like the work. He did not make it!
Hi Tony
welcome on the board.
Sorry but you can't copy paste a photo in the thread, you have to link an image by entering its complete URL i.e. yourwebsite.com/mypage.html/mypicture.jpg thru the small yellow icon showing a mountain in the bar on top of the message window. Ot a link to a page thru the small blue planetwith a chainlink.

But as your website is in flash and as Nill has already pointed out, the flash has one URL for all your image (flash is like a closed container) so you won't be able to link any image from that Flash page.

What you can do is put the image you want to link in a separate folder on your webserver and make a direct link to that image, like this:
[following to show the kind of URL needed] http://mnclaris.free.fr/forum/fbeken.jpg

fbeken.jpg

Hope it helps!