• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Composite - Palms Trees - Snow - Golf

Bill Miller

Composite of 8 exposures

desertIsland.jpg

1st and last exposure

SE_web.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Bill,

I like the photograph but wish it was larger. Also could you show some detail at 100%. What camera did you use? I'm puzzled at your choice of f18. Was this with a LF camera or what? Most digicams and modern DSLR's are severely challenged at f18.

At this size however, I see a good picture. Pity there's no clouds!

Asher

Bill Miller

Hi Bill,

I like the photograph but wish it was larger. Also could you show some detail at 100%. What camera did you use? I'm puzzled at your choice of f18. Was this with a LF camera or what? Most digicams and modern DSLR's are severely challenged at f18.

At this size however, I see a good picture. Pity there's no clouds!

Asher

Easily make a 20x24 or larger print from this. You have always implied quality issues with high f-stops. That may be true is using a Prosumer cameras. Using the 1Ds ///////i have not seen this as an issue. I'll post a photo of a train and a 100% crop shot at high f-stop.

Asher next time I'm in LA you'll have to see some prints.

StuartRae

Hi Bill,

That may be true is using a Prosumer cameras. Using the 1Ds ///////i have not seen this as an issue.

AFAIK, the camera has nothing to do with problems using small apertures. It's all down to diffraction effects in the lens.

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Bill,

AFAIK, the camera has nothing to do with problems using small apertures. It's all down to diffraction effects in the lens.
Stuart,

You are correct. It's a lens issue caused by light scraping past the small aperture. Considering light a packets of energy that get disturbed so that a point of light that would be in sharp focus, is now disrributed in a series of expanding concentric waves of intensity of flux. Now, instead of a point of light landing on one or two sensels, it's spread out over a much larger set of sensels, smearing that defined point.

There is then a relationship to the camera used. Recent cameras have tinier pixels. The smaller pixels image the diffraction! As the aperture gets tiny, the diffraction gets worse and the fine increments in the pixels resolve that fuzziness! With large pixels, one wouldn't so easiully see this! This degradation using small aperutre in the latest cameras, is only evident in detail rich images with fine structure that can be resolved at f 5.6, for example, may be fuzzy at f16 or more!

Using a wider aperture, one has max advantage of the best lenses and fine structure of the sensor.

Asher