• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Composition of abstracts

Michael Fontana

pro member
Another approach:

it might not be in coherence with some definitions, though, but I like to discuss this question rather within a image, than a definition:

Sean's second example works better for me than the first, in terms of showing a idea of abstract

It allows some different interpretations, therefore playing on different levels, rising different questions whithout judging - out of itself - which interpretation is the only, the correct one, so no defined story-telling, no WYSISWYG
So here's - in very simple words - just the potential....

the missing hut in the village might have gone away, to find its own place, but then, its on top of the little hill (??) and even on a elevated base, and in a different paint.

- It can be read as the church beeing outside the village, on a little hill, as it happens quite often here...

- it can be interpretated as the black sheep beeing rejected from the strongly organised pack, which doesn't allows any individuality, and finding its orientation 90 degs rotated..

You could add more interpretations whithout problems; the point about abstract is, that the artwork itself will not tell you which one is correct. It has a certain openness, which would be lost - just a example - if the village would be materialised as a medieval town, and the solitaire beeing a modern glass building.

As english is not my native language, don't put these word on the gold-balance, but look it as a approach to the idea of abstract.

Sean's first image works more on a pattern-idea, not showing the abstract in the original artwork.