• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Death Mask 2 A Bridge Across

Charlotte Thompson

In a session of series I had the ideaof using Death mask/Dead/ A Bridge Across or What Passes in Journey-Here is what I came up with- a sort of story trip 'if you will' where the monster of death survives-

DSC_0036-4.jpg

DSC_0037-4.jpg

DSC_0004-9.jpg

DSC_0026-2.jpg

Mark Hampton

charlotte,

i dip in and out of this work - sometimes I think - I have a grasp - others I find nothing. I like this..

I like the words Death Mask / Dead ... the second makes it seem real ... a stamp ... a kick .. and the searing tones ... like shouting or the soft voice...

cheers

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Charlotte,

These all have the feeling of great turmoil. If that's what you intended the work well!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Mark

you give this offering an interesting voice- as you know all that dies doesn't always return in the same form
maybe a look alike of once was-a small clip of the past- the always hope of future-
but perhaps most- 'the present'
seeing someone idea of an explanation to your work always inspires and sometimes gives us pause- to look and see perhaphs what you the artist didn't see
thank you-

Charlotte-

Asher

The intention is great turmoil you are correct! it is in the turmoil of chnge- I tried to show it in these dying plants- for me it was such a sight to see the struggle as I watched from day to day how they change- amazing really-if we only go outside the human self and look at other living things around us 'in this case plants' we can see they have the same life/dying young/old struggle as we do
fascinating for me!

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

Charlotte,

I do have a major question for you in your execution. You have a very limited graphic art presentation with little variety in the representation of tonality. Is that necessary to be so impoverished. Why do you have to throw away all the gradients we love in B&W? Is this your final decision or you still have room to consider the question?

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

answer to your question- in the previous series Frozen Death there was much change in tone for the bandw- it seemed this series for me turned a bit darker in metaphor for the series
I will change as I try to go on with this in different tones- great question btw* too much Sister Hubertine for you I know-

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

Asher

answer to your question- in the previous series Frozen Death there was much change in tone for the bandw- it seemed this series for me turned a bit darker in metaphor for the series
I will change as I try to go on with this in different tones- great question btw* too much Sister Hubertine for you I know-

Charlotte,

The thing about people and issues is that except for rape and murder there are few conditions that are divided into clear good and evil, black and/ or white. That's the error of folk who see things in simple but insufficient degrees of inquiry. We get much more and can achieve much more from people and resources by looking at the nuanced and grey areas. So we reduce concepts too much, perhaps it tells us more and perhaps instead it's far to simplistic to be valid.

A clever reduction is obviously superior to gross redundancy. So only allow a nun to direct you to discard image richness if your controlling ideas demand that or if the simpler version is more powerful and evocative.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

My work is who I am all that is me up to this point-
what I do I like and as an artist if others don't like then it's ok with me- I just try to create-

this series has nothing to do with good or evil

it has to do with decay
and like all we do decay!

I make no moral issues here
I myself don't go there- I don't understand at all-

my only love in my art is shadow work
I love that
I don't think it is an issue at all
simply what I like
I am a learning person I take what I want and leave the rest-

the nun thing was only a joke between friends that is all-

artists cannot ever be contained and neither could life!

,maybe we have some mis-connection

Charlotte-

John Angulat

pro member
Asher

My work is who I am all that is me up to this point-
what I do I like and as an artist if others don't like then it's ok with me- I just try to create-

this series has nothing to do with good or evil

it has to do with decay
and like all we do decay!

I make no moral issues here
I myself don't go there- I don't understand at all-

my only love in my art is shadow work
I love that
I don't think it is an issue at all
simply what I like
I am a learning person I take what I want and leave the rest-

the nun thing was only a joke between friends that is all-

artists cannot ever be contained and neither could life!

,maybe we have some mis-connection

Charlotte-

Very well said, Charlotte.
This perhaps is the best artist statement you've made with regard to this series.
More importantly, as long as you stay true to your vision, we must learn to accept that which you present.

Asher Kelman

Very well said, Charlotte.
This perhaps is the best artist statement you've made with regard to this series.
More importantly, as long as you stay true to your vision, we must learn to accept that which you present.

Charlotte,

I commend the stand. However, I still question it's materialization where shadow lose shading. I wonder whether your vision of decay and a lot of your processed work needs or benefits by reduction of tonality variance to the extreme.

Decay is a process. There's no suddenness in time or place. Thats why I question the extreme loss of gradients in the tonalities. If however, it's needed for your own vision then, of course, I'm in error completely.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

It is needed for my own vision-every artist has their own vision
perhaps it doesn't connect with every one-then again it may with others
I accept that-
mine is a creative technique with the deep shadows to light- I am truly drawn to it-

Charlotte-

John Angulat

pro member
Asher

It is needed for my own vision-every artist has their own vision
perhaps it doesn't connect with every one-then again it may with others
I accept that-
mine is a creative technique with the deep shadows to light- I am truly drawn to it-

Charlotte-

My dear Charlotte - be very careful how you choose your words!
"...mine is a creative technique with the deep shadows to light".
Asher may read the "shadows to light" as a promise of great tonality!

You know I'm just joking with both of you! ;)