• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Street Color Driven at sundown in Los Angeles

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My 2000 BMW sits unusable in my driveway and until I sell “stuff” there will be no replacement so I “Uber” or Lyfft everywhere!

One advantage is that coming back from a factory, I get to see the industrial belly of the City and can safely take pictures from the front seat.

One day I will splurge for a black car with a sun roof do I can stand!

Asher Kelman: “Railway Cars at Factory Yard”

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher Kelman: “The Market and Beer Refuge”

This area is mostly manual skilled factory workers during the day and almost empty at night.

Asher Kelman: “Wall of Comic Book Heroes”

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

A wonderful series. Great color, interesting views. Wonderful skies, nicely included. And even a shot of two swamp coolers.

And my thanks to your "picture car" driver, perhaps also a muse?

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

A wonderful series. Great color, interesting views. Wonderful skies, nicely included. And even a shot of two swamp coolers.

Thanks for stopping by!

Swamp coolers? Explain! 🧐

And my thanks to your "picture car" driver, perhaps also a muse?

Not this time, but until my car broke down it was indeed Kirstie, assistant, chaperone, driver and muse extraordinaire!

Asher Kelman: “Muse on Break”

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Swamp coolers? Explain!

Oh, sorry. That's slang for evaporative coolers, a system for cooling houses and other buildings that is workable in areas of low relative humidity.

We see what certainly are two of them in your image "Wall of Comic Book Heroes ", on the roof.

They work by having a blower draw in outside air through porous pads soaked with water. (They typically are behind grilles on three, sometimes four sides of the unit housing. The classical construction is a mat of aspen wood shavings.) The water evaporates gladly (if the humidity of the arriving air is low enough) and in doing so cools the air. The cooled (and substantially humidified) air is then set via ducts to the area to be cooled.

The water is drawn from a little pan (filled from the domestic water supply through a float valve) by a small pump and discharged at the top of teh pads through perforated tubes.

These are much less costly to operate than "refrigerative" air conditioning systems of the same cooling capacity. They are not usually automatically controlled, but are rather operated by a set of (usually) three switches on the wall. One turns the blower on and off, one sets the blower speed to one of two values, and the third operates the water pump.

These were at one time almost universal in New Mexico, and in fact, a number of the houses on our block still have them. (Our house had such in its early life.)

The most common deployment is on the roof, as it facilitates the routing of the ducts. But some are on a pad at ground level. My house in Albuquerque (1968-1971) had a swamp cooler at ground level. The ducts ran in the almost-basement (which of course is not a common thing to have in New Mexico)

Decades ago, they were also common in Dallas, but the increasing ambient humidity over the years eventually made them almost useless.

In come cases, these were "add-ons", mounted adjacent to a window and discharging through same.

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Back to the road home:

Asher Kelman: “Painted Sky on Freeway”

The building on the left is a patriotic landmark. We are going West in the 10 Freeway 0.5 miles from Hoover St. exit!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I like that you had a new opportunity to take pictures, but I wonder what is wrong with the car...
The window was dirty and when I was below that, I had to include the top of the horizontal trim and fittings.

If I was higher I would have access to the sky and also shoot over side walls of the freeway!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher Kelman: “Future Relic of Petro-Carbon Industry”

Asher Kelman: “Driven west on the I-10 Freeway”
Used to illustrate petro-carbon debate, Here
I must say I am thrilled whenever I return home, Driving West towards the Pacific Ocean bear sunset! It’s like being on a divine movie set with a trillion dollar budget!

Asher

Asher Kelman

......and now a surprise: a backlit small flying craft moves from the Western sky, towards us.

A drone or a very high and huge, twin-rotor White House Chopper?

Asher Kelman: “Dot on Chagall-Blue Sky”

I feel so privileged to be able to enjoy such sights, knowing no one has ever seen, or will ever see this view, except though this single picture!!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Swamp Coolers??

....Oh, sorry. That's slang for evaporative coolers, a system for cooling houses and other buildings that is workable in areas of low relative humidity.

Asher Kelman: “Wall of Comic Book Heroes”

We see what certainly are two of them in your image "Wall of Comic Book Heroes ", on the roof.

The water is drawn from a little pan (filled from the domestic water supply through a float valve) by a small pump and discharged at the top of teh pads through perforated tubes.

Doug,

Thanks for the education. But is it’s use for cooling, wasteful of precious potable water?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
Doug,

Thanks for the education. But is it’s use for cooling, wasteful of precious potable water?

Sure.

But, on the other hand, far less energy (electrical) is consumed than with reiterative cooling.

In any case, I suspect the current ambient humidity in the LA area makes them of little use today (just as in Dallas for the last 40 years or so).

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

My driving licence was expired in May! So I had to retake the test! So my wife drove me there!

Again at the failing light:

Asher Kelman:​
“Inglewood Sky”

Asher Kelman: “Exit 50A”

......and I passed my drivers test so no more chauffeuse for a while!!

Asher