• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

eGPU and Macs… :(

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Looking for an eGPU solution to speed-up processes (among all Topaz A.I. Gigapixel), I've searched the web, and finally wrote to Sonnetech support,
Below is the reply I received…
In clear if you run Mojave with Thunderbolt 2 only (Macs using Thunderbolt 3 are be ok) you may dream of another world…

Please be aware of these issues with compatibility.

1. Nvidia drivers are currently not supported for use as an eGPU on Mac. See here.
  2. Only certain GPU’s will work in certain breakaway boxes, and several will not work on MacOS. See here for a full compatibility list.
  3. If you want plug-and-play ability, use these select AMD graphics cards.
4) Keep in mind these can only work between 10.12.6 - 10.13.3.
Sadly, Apple has officially dropped support for TB2 Macs like the 2013 Mac Pro cylinder (6,1) in 10.13.4 and above, so you could never update past 10.13.3. For continued support, you must upgrade to a TB3 Mac.

If you are an expert user, and must use Nvidia or Thunderbolt 2, please refer to egpu.io under the software tab, and choose MacOS.

Regrettably, neither Apple, Nvidia, AMD, nor Sonnet, supports egpu.io or other setups at the current time.

Despite all of these current caveats, we expect support and compatibility to grow over time.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

nicolas claris

Bonjour Asher,

I guess so, but be carefull, all eGPU aren't equal… Most of them are for gaming…
You better ask first to the brand support of the card… for your purpose (provide them with all your iMac tech things (HD, RAM, OS version etc.) and the software you wish to speed-up…)

You'll find plenty informations if you folow the links provided in my preceeding message here.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nicolas,

Can you write briefly the justification for me to upgrade from my 2014 Cylinder Mac Pro to a more powerful iMac with TB 3 so I can use Topaz AI?

What are the numerical data you have for increase in speed and capability

Asher

Asher Kelman

Nicolas,

Read this from http://digilloyd.com

What do you think of this for the eGPU or it wouldn’t be needed?

Asher

nicolas claris

AFAIK, the Radeon Provega 48 is fast…
Personnaly I wouldn't drop 4k for a machine that can't evolve…
Also I really do not like the retina monitors, that are too flattering hence image are easily badly processed for printing…

Asher Kelman

AFAIK, the Radeon Provega 48 is fast…
Personnaly I wouldn't drop 4k for a machine that can't evolve…
Also I really do not like the retina monitors, that are too flattering hence image are easily badly processed for printing…
I would still use my Eizo!

How much faster do you think this can go!

A warning:

I have not tested this with the latest AI Gigapixel yet, but a previous version much earlier this year was wonderful for natural textures like grass or fur of animals or the iris of your eye.

Problems come

1. Man-made objects watch out! In in the windows of a chateau if one is slightly open, it can render it twisted!

2. In the teeth of a person where a tooth can take on a shape like a pearl or a knife!

3. It might decide to ignore a set of branches in the b.g.

4. Number plates of cars and road signs, shop signage just get “sharper” but no extra detail.

Ideas to consider:

1. Do sharpening AI first with any movement or rotation correction if appropriate first.

2. Go a little larger, say x1.25 what you really need then reduce to required size with PS bicubic sharper

3. meticulously examine entire image for oddities

4. These cautions may not apply to the latest version
4.xyz

Tell me these issues are corrected!

We should spend this eGPU money on more pixels and better lenses, until then,

....... but for older pictures, this could be wonderful or new pictures of wild animals with a mobile phone: perfect!

Asher

nicolas claris

4. These cautions may not apply to the latest version
4.xyz

Tell me these issues are corrected!

In fact, with the latest version I did get these oddities… :(
But not on all images… Boats and waves are behaving correctly… But not wood panels in the interiors

We should spend this eGPU money on more pixels and better lenses
I totally agree !

Asher Kelman

Nicolas,

I still have needs to rework pictures taken with my 8 MP ID II. But these are of models. It should manage hair and skin. Teeth frighten me, but if done on layers, one can always erase the distorted AI teeth!

If not Topaz, what is the very next best?

Asher

nicolas claris

Photoshop CC 2019 does a good job (not as good as Topaz, but still it's rocket fast !

Photoshop 2019 @ 200%:

Topaz @ 200%: A better job, but much longer to process!

Just discovered an Topaz update today (4.1.2)

Jerome Marot

Looking for an eGPU solution to speed-up processes (among all Topaz A.I. Gigapixel), I've searched the web, and finally wrote to Sonnetech support,
Below is the reply I received…
In clear if you run Mojave with Thunderbolt 2 only (Macs using Thunderbolt 3 are be ok) you may dream of another world…

If I understand correctly, the problem is that Mojave is required for eGPU to work as you want it and that Mojave will not install on older machines. These older machines are the ones using TB2. But, from what you posted, I would believe that a machine running Mojave and TB2 would support an eGPU as you need it.

nicolas claris

If I understand correctly, the problem is that Mojave is required for eGPU to work as you want it and that Mojave will not install on older machines. These older machines are the ones using TB2. But, from what you posted, I would believe that a machine running Mojave and TB2 would support an eGPU as you need it.
Bonjour Jerome
My Mac runs Mjave and TB2
eGPU is supported only with TB3. :(
You may read the Sonnet reply I posted in the OP…

Jerome Marot

Bonjour Jerome
My Mac runs Mjave and TB2
eGPU is supported only with TB3. :(
You may read the Sonnet reply I posted in the OP…

Yes, but I understood Sonnet post differently at first. I see now what they mean: you should not have upgraded from 10.13.3 if you wanted to use TB2.

Frankly, I find that a bit surprising as TB2 and TB3 are not that different, software-wise. But that is probably why the people at egpu.io manage to make it work.