• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Essex Suburbia

Paul Abbott

I kind of got inspired by Arcade Fire's record - The Suburbs recently. So, on a whim I thought I would have a go at documenting the mundane and banal suburbia.

For the time being, I'm not sure I'll make much of it as a project just yet though. :)

suburbs1of1500.jpg

Essex Suburbs #1 - Paul Abbott

Jerome Marot

There is an idea here, but I think that this kind of picture does not work as well in isolation than if you present a series of them.

The composition and subject are interesting and a bit puzzling. But what first caught my eye were the colors or tonal range. I think that if you want to continue the series, you should keep the same technique and give that tonal range to all the pictures. Just a thought.

I don't know Arcade Fire's music, so maybe I miss an essential part of the story.

Paul Abbott

Jerome, thanks for that. I agree with you about the need for a larger body of work to do this idea justice. I do plan this as a future project and have been toying with the idea of using reflections and such maybe, to document these areas of living spaces.

For some reason I have always loved the look of those old colour photographs by William Eggleston and others like Stephen Shore, and kind of toyed around in trying to achieve that same colour rendition. I am happy you mentioned it 'cos I was thinking about using it as a 'signature' for this future set of images. Cheers.

Jerome Marot

JFor some reason I have always loved the look of those old colour photographs by William Eggleston and others like Stephen Shore, and kind of toyed around in trying to achieve that same colour rendition. I am happy you mentioned it 'cos I was thinking about using it as a 'signature' for this future set of images. Cheers.

I would have bet you did something like that.

Probably we will tire of this faux "analog capture" look at some point. But I have to admit that I like it too.