• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Peter Dexter

And this flowering on the Croton tree in front ofmy deck today:

49713275608_faf8319999_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
And this flowering on the Croton tree in front ofmy deck today:

Peter,

What a unique find!

Are you sure this is a Croton tree as the pictures I found so far seem to be round with spikes like a coronavirus!

Yours look more like some variety of simplified orchid!

But this plant’s flowers are new to me so I remain puzzled!

Could this be a parasitic plant that grows on your tree?

Any chance you know the species name!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Peter,

It is the orchid Epidendrum lacustre and it is epiphytic. The Croton tree hosting it is not visible in the photo.
That makes sense, Peter as I wondered about that in the options possible. So thanks for confirming my hunch!

I appreciate so much, learning from you! Life is one organism depending on so many others!

Asher

Asher Kelman

A lot of epiphytes hereabouts think my roof is a tree.I've found at least seven different orchid species and some nice bromeliads growing on it.
Think about it, Peter!

if epiphytes can grow from chemicals like fixed nitrogen and phosphates and metal compounds in the air, we are breathing the same crap! What might it do to us?

Asher