• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Alternative Process: Experimenting with Topaz Filters: Meeting of two Muses, Still life and more!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We shot two new models at the same time. They has never met. So I used a black b.g. and a couch for them to sit together and took some initial shots.

In processing pictures I decided to explore filters. What was really interesting was the emotional overlay by using certain filters and the effect of simplification of image elements. Here is used Topaz B&W effect of posterization.

Asher Kelman: Zoe & Olive Meeting #1

Please comment.

Asher

Asher Kelman

This is the Korean Tea Service that I received from a friend!

I processed it in CC 2019 ACR and then with Topaz B&W Effects using the Platinum Filter

Asher Kelman: Korean Tea Service

Asher

Asher Kelman

I love Chicago. Well I last visited in 2009! I dug up my old files.

Here I processed 43 adjacent Canon 5D Mark II shots of the Chocago skyline,
.....taken just over the bridge spanning the railway Yard adjacent abdbelow the world famous Chicago Museum of Art.

I processed RAW files in Photoshop CC 2020. This allowed me to easily recover blown-out highlights from the bright high noon sun!

I worked hard to include the car park and the railway yard!

D16EFA3C-FC83-4F15-910E-54C0574BA98E.jpeg

However I was not happy with the balance. I felt that I had done so much work for naught as the rail yard and car park didn’t earn their places in such a superb skyline. I wish a magnificent train engine was there, but no luck!

So I decided to rethink the composition and leverage the unique cloud structure that focussed the eye of the central buildings. I also love the artistic stroke on the right of the architecturally striking pedestrian bridge over the busy roadways to the museum.
So I cropped away the rail yard and I had a strong panorama. But I realized the colors were not needed as I was going for bold shapes to leverage the rectilinear architecture against the organic sky.

So first I emphasized the edges with Topaz HDR using the gentlest conversion I could find.

Then a processed a copy in Topaz “Impression” as a simple sketch and blended the two.

6F8722EA-8B21-43B8-A5F5-D021F5BE75AE.jpeg

Now I had what I had managed. I felt I had a beautiful and satisfying Chicago Skyline. More it showcases an amazing Architectural Design: with one bold wrist stroke, “The Nichols Bridgeway“ connects the “Millennium Park” to the new Modern Wing of the “Art Institute of Chicago“ on the right!

It’s just for pedestrians and they are clearly seen in the fully size 49” wide picture!

I hope you enjoy the result too!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher that is good job you have done. :)

The sky is really harsh and threatening like the hole ambiance in Chicago and all over the World in these days of Covid-19...

The blending option resulted in a very menacing image. Is that what you had in mind ?

BTW - As I wrote somewhere one of these days: Me, humble unknown Portuguese would make a better president of USA than Mr. Tramp o_O
At least I would listen to some advise from experts. :rolleyes:

Asher Kelman

Thanks so much Antonio,

I wanted to create a more threatening balance between striking beauty of architecture And the context of a planet who is both a generous mother and a stern father.
It’s not intended to be depressing but rather takes into account the reality of existence.

what is beyond striking beauty of our achievements?

I am trying to show a knife edge of our own, (albeit, self-delusional), brilliance in an unforgiving universe where our willpower is mostly irrelevant!

Asher

Asher Kelman

....and yes, Antonio,

You and any other educated person, (even any bright disciplined child of 10), could do brilliantly as the USA is a giant self-driving machine of enterprise.

we don’t need to be expert, just to

1. Hear out the advice of experts

2. Exclude one’s own fantasies and games to ones own very private family.

3. Don’t fiddle with the machine settings: always bring in the certified serviceman!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher.

The ‘ sketch ‘ speaks to me. Harsh but beautiful. Foreboding sky, against a man made arch spanning the panorama.
Yes, I like that very much.

Filters are made for a purpose. Just like clothes.
But one has to know what to use..and when!

Asher Kelman

Asher.

The ‘ sketch ‘ speaks to me. Harsh but beautiful. Foreboding sky, against a man made arch spanning the panorama.
Yes, I like that very much.

Filters are made for a purpose. Just like clothes.
But one has to know what to use..and when!
Thanks so much, Fahim.

Perhaps, this last picture is one of the most satisfying for me as I wrestled so much to discover how to present it and I feel I succeeded! I came to bed in the early morning hours and stared at the ceiling as I wanted to explain it to Wendy, my dear sleeping wife, but couldn’t wake her!

Asher