• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

False widow spider and wet wings...

Paul Iddon

I am delighted to say I have tonight counted 8 (eight!) different Steatoda bipunctata on the fence panels tonight - I assume all from the same parent & her clutch of eggs which I found earlier this year.

Here too are a couple of rather wet subjects - the night time dew and rain on them is cool...

steo2_4k_1800-XL.jpg

steo0_4k_1800-XL.jpg

steo1_4k_1800-XL.jpg

steo3_4k_1800-XL.jpg

spotted_4k_1800-XL.jpg

wetfly_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.Attach files

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Who are the winged visitors? Are they trapped in thecweb as you didn’t introduce them!

Is this a mosquito

A64C6768-3451-4AC8-AF74-8A80041B4A01.jpeg

But I can’t see if the proboscis fits!

Asher

Paul Iddon

Who are the winged visitors? Are they trapped in thecweb as you didn’t introduce them!

Is this a mosquito

But I can’t see if the proboscis fits!

Asher

This is the crane fly (Tipulidae). Sometimes called 'daddy long-legs', there are around 300 different species of crane fly in the UK. The larvae, which live just below the surface of the soil, are commonly known as 'leatherjackets' on account of their relatively thick skin.

The other fly in the post above I believe looks like an anthomyiid female.

Both were just standing on the fence panels, safe from harm.

Paul.