• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Family: Tachinidae

Peter Dexter

Parasitic fly

48624782928_1a301c9a61_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Peter that’s one extraordinary and hardy looking pest! So who or what does it parasitize?

There’s a burrowing, grain and seed collecting and hoarding underground spider that nurtures blind mice in their caverns!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
As larva, it is a parasite of larvae of other insects: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachina_fera The adult insect you see here feeds on flowers. This is probably why it has hairs.

Very nice image, BTW.
Thanks Jerome. I got so fascinated that I spent an hour voraciously reading up everything I could about this class of parasitic insects. Amazingly there are 80,000 or more species. Think how few apes species there are and just one variant hominid!

Asher