• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Technical Question Fast wake up of Camera & then AF

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What recommendations for very fast wake up of a walk around camera and then AF for wildlife.

I was thinking of getting a 90D or Sony APS-C body to go with perhaps a 300 f4.0 or a 70-300?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

For what it's worth, my Canon EOS M50 with a Canon EF-M 18-150 aboard seems fully awake from "napping" (awakened by a half-press of the shutter release) in about 1.3 s.

I have no idea what the AF time wouild be with any particular lens aboard at any particular focal length.

I do note that this body is quite slow as to the time after a shot at which the preview appears. (I am spoiled by my Panasonic Lumix machines, which are almost instantaneous in that regard.) But the shot-to-shot time seems quite short (if one is not interested in seeing the preview).

Stay safe,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi, Asher,

For what it's worth, my Canon EOS M50 with a Canon EF-M 18-150 aboard seems fully awake from "napping" (awakened by a half-press of the shutter release) in about 1.3 s.

I have no idea what the AF time wouild be with any particular lens aboard at any particular focal length.

I do note that this body is quite slow as to the time after a shot at which the preview appears. (I am spoiled by my Panasonic Lumix machines, which are almost instantaneous in that regard.) But the shot-to-shot time seems quite short (if one is not interested in seeing the preview).

Stay safe,

Doug
Thanks Doug!

1.3 seconds is a lifetime when t
You see a hawk descending!

Asher

James Lemon

What recommendations for very fast wake up of a walk around camera and then AF for wildlife.

I was thinking of getting a 90D or Sony APS-C body to go with perhaps a 300 f4.0 or a 70-300?

Asher

Lumix G9 with Panasonic Leica DG Elmarit 200mm f/2.8 throw in the 2.0x Teleconverter (DMW-TC20) which is also compatible with the lens and effectively turns it into an 800mm optic.

Steven Sinski

if you camera is asleep and or off. its generally off to your side or or being held in your hand. to me, if i am looking around for the target i almost always have my hand on the grip to go for the lift. in that infinitesimal moment your thumb is in the process of switching the camera from off or pointing digit is doing a half press to wake the little darling up. by the time you have done either you be just getting an eyeball view squared away in the eyepiece to fire away.

depending on the Sony body things will vary.

i do this with my Z6 often enough

addendum: of course you will need to have the lens cap off. yes i've done it. in addition a M50 is not a speed demon on startup.

Last edited: